Birth of a 1970 Dart Convertible

-
well long story short I'm still working for now. what a turn around from last year, we couldn't make enough parts to no orders. LOL :wack:
Jim

Great! I'm glad things have turned around for you. You do still have the car, right? When I come to the Members Restorations section, your thread is the very first one I look for updates on. :prayer: I have to admit, that when I first read about how you were going about this build...I thought you were nuts...lol. Every other one of the 70 Dart conv. were built by hanging newer sheetmetal on 67-69 conv bodies. You have done an OUTSTANDING job doing your car the way you have done it, and I have very much enjoyed watching and reading about the progress. Here's to a better new year for all of us.

I'm just sitting here trying to figure how much money it will take to finish this. I'm thinking for around $4,000 I can do it. I have all the driveline, except parts to put the motor together. What do you FABO members think, going to the junkyard and trying to find a good used magnum? The things I still need are front end kit, seat covers, carpet, top, bumpers, seal kit, windshield seal. I got so far on this and I seem to be at a dead end. WOW!!!!!!! I went looking for this trend and 4 pages. That tells me to get busy, don't you think?LOL

I'm happy to see you posting on this thread again. Hopefully you can get the parts you need and finish up the car. Personally I would try to find a 340 instead of a magnum, but that is your call.

I was just thinking that I can pick one up magnum for a few hundred dollars. I have a 340 no heads and it has a spun rod bearing. I have the 6cyl that come out of the 70. I would have to find a bell and flywheel.
Jim

I think you are right Jim, for now just find a good motor to get the car going and on the road so you and your Son and enjoy the vert!

Of course the choice is yours. My point and my thought was, you haven't scrimpt on any part of the car yet, you wanted when needed until you could find/afford the parts you needed to make the car how you wanted...right? I just thought you would do the same now and keep with your initial plan, and I didn't think that included a magnum motor. If that was an option and you would be happy with it then go for it.

How about a late 80s/early 90s LA 360 roller block. Engine I would've used if I didn't get my 340 for dirt cheap

I have a good running 318 and 904 out of my sons 70 Dart I'll make you a deal on. We are doing a 340 and a 4 speed and no longer need it.

In my plan is a 340. I have a 340 but no heads, it is bord .040 over I will have to see if it will go to .060. It has a spun rod bearing. I also have a 4 speed setup all I need for that is shifter and rods.
Jim

I don't need the trans but we can talk on the engine.
Thanks
Jim
I sent you a pm, Call me we can work something out I see you dont need the trans, I have a shifter and rods but its sloppy and needs rebuilt.

I have some J heads that were done and still wrapped up, but I think shipping would be prohibitive. Someone on FABO must have a pair of heads that is closer to you, come on Guys, step up!

I am working on the vert. I started to post some pictures of parts that I have bought in the last couple of months but some how I seamed to deleted it before I got done with it. LOL. I seam to have two full time jobs 1st my job of 29 years and my 2nd keeping my youngest car running. He called me yesterday morning at work and told me the front seal in the trans is leaking. :) you got to love it. I will try to repost some updates and pictures in the next couple days. thanks for asking belmateo.
Jim

Here is a couple pictures of the torque boxes that I bought. I got these from US Car Tool.
Jim

Attachments

• SAM_0342.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 575
  • SAM_0343.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 547
My youngest and I was at the junk yard a couple weeks ago and found a 87 ram. I got the motor and sifter for $225.00.

Jim

Attachments

• SAM_0338.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 602
  • SAM_0340.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 556
  • SAM_0341.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 557
-
Back