Boat anchor

-

Dartn440

Reaction score
So my buddy has been building Mopars for quite awhile, I am a novice, but I don't agree with everything he tells me. I went after a 360 block today with heads and ended up coming home with the 360, a 904, a SB 727, and a BB 727.... a bunch of manifolds, two TQ converters, a box of randomness.....and a 273 out of a 66 Satellite. My buddy says it is a boat anchor. I disagree. Came with a second set of heads. If I read correctly they are 273/318 heads. I have no time for the motor now, but won't toss it. Will this intake work?

IMG_1763.JPG

IMG_1764.JPG

The only glitch you must watch for on a 273 is the earlier ones had 5/16 manifold bolts which were at a DIFFERENT angle.

Apart from needing unleaded seats for the exhaust valves the 920 head is a good closed chamber head and will work great on a mild build 318

"And a box of randomness"
:rofl::rofl::rofl:
That's awesome!

The older 273 heads use a smaller 5/16 IIRC bolt. So try an regular normal size 3/8 bolt before you try and bolt up the intake.

So my buddy has been building Mopars for quite awhile, I am a novice, but I don't agree with everything he tells me. I went after a 360 block today with heads and ended up coming home with the 360, a 904, a SB 727, and a BB 727.... a bunch of manifolds, two TQ converters, a box of randomness.....and a 273 out of a 66 Satellite. My buddy says it is a boat anchor. I disagree. Came with a second set of heads. If I read correctly they are 273/318 heads. I have no time for the motor now, but won't toss it. Will this intake work?

View attachment 1715064150

View attachment 1715064151

That intake will work nice with a spread bore carburetor - either a Carter thermoquad or Holley spread bore...

If you prefer square bore carbs, I would recommend the Wiand stealth intake...

The 920 heads have the 3/8" intake bolts with the standard LA intake bolt angle so you can use any standard LA intake with those heads if you choose to... Those heads will help increase compression about .7 of a point if you swap them onto the 360... However with a little massaging they can be made better... I put a set of those on a 318 but had the heads ported and the larger 360 1.88" intake valve and 1.60" exhaust valve - basically have the valve seats opened up to accept the 360 valves..

However the 273/318 heads have smaller ports than the 340/360 head and will be slightly mis matched with the intake in the picture... It's not a show stopper, but will loose a little flow energy with that intake.... Porting will help that...

Thanks guys. The motor is complete form intake to pan with the 2bbl intake on it. The intake above was in the pile of parts as were the 273/318 heads. So Wieand makes an aftermarket intake? I will look into that too.

There are no " boat anchors", in internal combustion engines, in my opinion... Any good block, with rust free bores, and no cracks , is a good thing..In my opinion...
It just depends, if you find a use for it...
Just a quick story, to make my post, semi- relevant..: A friend , blew up a 307 Chevy( yeah , I know... This guy loved 3.25 stroke SBC's... it gets better... He wanted "1.94 " intake valve heads, he bought cracked ,open chamber junk... )
Sooooo... His dad ran a wrecking yard, told him to pull a small block, out of an 1980 El Camino... We didn't check block numbera, just guessed a 305 ... We installed a 600 vac sec Holley, a mild cam(218-224 @ 050",112 lobe centers..) , and a Holley Street Dominator manifold (a high velocity single plane, that actually works really well..)I sent an engine builder buddy, the engine numbers... Well... We got the engine assembled, he calls me , back... " His actual response, on the phone: " Tim ..You and Greg,.... Are the proud owners of a Chevy 267.....". I will be damned ..a 3.5 " bore, with a 350 3.48" stroke ,... Got 22 m.p.g., ran mid 14 quarter mile times, on an original GTech meter... There are not,"Boat Anchors", if you understand the best way, to use the engine....:)..( B.T.W.: we never pulled the heads, head gaskets, or did anything...but bolt ons...) Just make sure, you are willing...on the budget...

Thanks guys. The motor is complete form intake to pan with the 2bbl intake on it. The intake above was in the pile of parts as were the 273/318 heads. So Wieand makes an aftermarket intake? I will look into that too.

Yes.

Weiand 8022WND Weiand Stealth™ Intake - Chrysler Small Block V8 - Holley Performance Products

Weiand Stealth Intake Manifold

https://www.summitracing.com/search...e/5-2l-318/engine-family/mopar-small-block-la

and here's a nice Holley 600 Vac secondary with electric choke at a good price that will run nice:

Holley 4160 Aluminum Street Carburetor

Here's a good thick gasket for it that will help keep fuel from boiling and also has the center divider to keep the pulse strong all the way to the carb:

Edelbrock Heat Insulator Gasket

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-9266

Holley 108-18 Base Gasket - Holley Performance Products

https://www.summitracing.com/search...ch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=holley 108-18

Boat anchor descriptions are always relative. I had a stuck 273 - I pulled the rockers and early 273 special stuff and scrapped it. It was a boat anchor to me, and probably the general public too because nobody wanted it even for the value of the rockers or scrap value. I've got another one that turns well, I'm sure is a good runner. But it's going to reach boat anchor status before winter if it doesn't sell. So chances are you did great, but some of the stuff is useless to you, and worthless to others (not emotionally - but nobody will take their time or spend their money on it). So boat anchors are born...lol.

That stock cast iron intake you have will work as well as any aftermarket dual plane in your application. Do your best to port match the intake ports on the heads to the larger ports in the intake.

I just need to free up some cash and clear some space. Emptied my storage....well, tried, then filled it up with small blocks and transmissions! Maybe I will pop it up for sale as is running first. I know someone has a 66 Barracuda in need of a motor....

If I had the money and was younger (or mostly had lots of money) it would be fun to build a 273

273.... nice crankshaft, BUT... if you use it check the rear register as it was smaller than the 318-340 so most torque converters won't fit. I had one machined out to the more common size. The 273 adjustable rockers are always nice to save too.

-
Back