Booster recommendations??

-

AussieDart

Reaction score
Hi, Recently I installed a 5.7 Hemi in my 68 Valiant. The brakes were upgraded ie Willwood discs in the front and drums in the back. And I have to say that the brake setup works well. However I have been thinking it would be less work for my leg if I added a booster into the mix. Can anyone make a recommendation for a booster that will fit into an engine bay that does not have that much room? Thanks for any ideas you may have.

P1070872.JPG

P1070876.JPG

Love your car Bud !! Have you thought about a Hydro boost ? not a Vacuum ? I put a Hydro in my 65 Plymouth and this ***** stops Like a M.F !! No **** best breaking system (IMO) on the market !

Love your car Bud !! Have you thought about a Hydro boost ? not a Vacuum ? I put a Hydro in my 65 Plymouth and this ***** stops Like a M.F !! No **** best breaking system (IMO) on the market !
Hi Moparcrazy, it is a great idea but my car is manual steering so to do Hydro i would have to upgrade to power steering. Unfortunately that's just a step to far at this point.

Gidday mate. You need a remote booster that you can mount under the front guard or behind the back seat.
A PBR VH40 or a VH44 will do the trick. You can buy them on eBay.

Gidday mate. You need a remote booster that you can mount under the front guard or behind the back seat.
A PBR VH40 or a VH44 will do the trick. You can buy them on eBay.
Thanks Vallo. That might be an option to think about. LOL, Might have to save some cash for that, they are expensive.

Hey AussieDart, try Hydroboost in Echuca, (03) 5480 0886 and talk to Terry. Not much he doesn't know about boosters, etc. Or you may have to talk to his partner Andrew. Make sure you have all the info he'll ask you such as wheel cylinder size, drum info, Master cylinder bore size, vehicle weight etc, in front of you, he might recommend a VH44J going by the looks of your beast, and what a beautiful beast it is. Just be careful with anything on Ebay as there is some Chinese stuff that is not up to scratch, it is after all your braking system and for that I would only buy from known, reputable sources. Let us all know how you go......cheers mate, col.

I hope you know that A-body boosters mount on stand-off brackets which raise the booster up. That clears the factory valve covers in a small-block. Might not have been needed w/ a slant, but those cars have the same brackets. In my 1965 Dart, I mounted a booster/MC from a 1999 Breeze on 74 Dart stand-off brackets. The booster barely clears the after-market Wiend valve covers (taller than factory). Many A's used double-diaphragm boosters that are longer but less diameter than my Breeze booster (~9"D vs ~10"D). The 74 Dart I picked had a larger Midland-Ross single diaphragm booster (~10"D), but that was a slant. Maybe all small-blocks used the dbl-diaphragm booster (I know early-A 273's did). Below is the best photo I have of my Dart (head-on view would be better). Comparing w/ your photo, looks like "might work". Try to find how much the brackets move the booster center-line upward, consider the booster diameter, and you should be able to estimate how much clearance you will have. I cheated a bit and angled my booster up slightly to better clear the valve cover, which you might do.

PICT0001.JPG

-
Back