budget street motor 360 or 383 for 71 duster

-

reese

Reaction score
Hi everyone looking to hop up my 71 Duster this winter. It currently has a 1975 360 relatively stock aside from small mopar cam and edelbrock carb intake, 727 transmission and 8 3/4 with 3.55 rear gear and a Eaton locker. IM wanting to get between 400 and 450hp out of it. I was wondering what would be a better stop light street cruiser type of motor for it. What is cheaper to build and well be faster dollar for dollar. looking to spend between 4000 and 5000 on the motor build including headers. If I go 383 route Ill be selling my 360 to off set costs as it has some retro edelbrock parts on it. Aside from motor mounts and swap headers is there anything else needed to complete the swap?

stay with the small block if you use the 383 it will add weight to the front of the car and require a lot of front sup mods a 408 with good cam and heads will meet your goal for hp

Top off you new 408 with one of these. And your good to go!

20160404_195801.jpg

As others have stated...........go small block; you've already got brackets, mounts, tranny, so no money spent there.

Power level you are looking for is an easy target to hit. Your short block, more cam though not too much, heads that flow some air, chamber volume to the small side to build some compression; you didn't say what your current intake is.......if not an Air-gap, then move up to one, 750 cfm carb, headers, you're there. May, maybe, need a converter change to work with what ever cam you go for.

Good luck.

As others have stated...........go small block; you've already got brackets, mounts, tranny, so no money spent there.

Power level you are looking for is an easy target to hit. Your short block, more cam though not too much, heads that flow some air, chamber volume to the small side to build some compression; you didn't say what your current intake is.......if not an Air-gap, then move up to one, 750 cfm carb, headers, you're there. May, maybe, need a converter change to work with what ever cam you go for.

Good luck.
I like the feel of a big block. Doesnt take much to get 450-500 out of a 383...Can you even build a stroker small block for 4-5 k with headers?

I love 383's, but in A-bodies, unless You're using the B engine framework to go BIG, it ain't hard to reach Your stated goals w/a 360. Not to mention You remove more
weight if You choose to go aluminum heads & intake on a SB than a BB. OE SB heads & intakes are HEAVIER than OE B/RB ones. As mentioned, building a very common
these days 408 stroker will make it cake for You.

360 stock stroke is fine too!! I have a 360 and it seems to do the job good. Plan on camming up. The old 292/508 is going in also will use the strip dominator intake and 3.91's for out back!! Also a 3400-3600 9.5 FTI converter for more fun!:steering:

I
360 stock stroke is fine too!! I have a 360 and it seems to do the job good. Plan on camming up. The old 292/508 is going in also will use the strip dominator intake and 3.91's for out back!! Also a 3400-3600 9.5 FTI converter for more fun!:steering:
So just a stroker kit and aluminum heads you be in at 4k right ? If I did a small block I would start with a Magnum motor.Magnums already have closed chamber big valves heads . I have read you can do a little to them and like a 383 easy to make hp.

I like the 383 here. I wish people would educate themselves with the weight difference. The difference between the 360 and 440 is only about 150 pounds. The 383 and 360 even less, since the 383 is a smaller engine than the 440. Add an aluminum intake and even aluminum heads to the 383 and the difference falls in the 383's favor. IMO, you can reach 400 HP easier and much cheaper with a 383. JMO.

Ether is a really good option. While I’m normally a big small blocks do fan a 383 is a few more cubes larger with a few added bonus items like;

A natural air gap intake.
Longer runners for more torque
15* valve angles
Larger valves
Larger header tubes
All good things for more power
stay with the small block if you use the 383 it will add weight to the front of the car and require a lot of front sup mods a 408 with good cam and heads will meet your goal for hp

I disagreed on your post. I have a 400 B engine in a ‘71 Duster right now. There are NO from end mods done. It runs, drives just fine. It is l stock except the headers and Holley street Dom intake. The extra weight is noticed but not hinder normal or lightly spirited driving in any way shape or form.

Braking is currently the OE 4 wheel 10 inch drums. And like all 4 wheel drum cars, cars should be taken in braking in any condition, period.

To carry on in favor for the 383, the things I used to install it in place of the /6 are;

Schumacher swap kit
Summit aluminum radiator
Shorten driveshaft
Swapped the 7-1/4 rear for an 8-3/4 though a 8-1/4 would have done fine for the low power mill. S/S springs

I suggest tti headers and a aftermarket shifter. For a street build, this is a good starting point in the video below. Perhaps a little more cam? A better cam? A better set of lighter aluminum heads? That would clear your goals hurdle.

Hi guys thanks for the replies forgot to mention I'm in Canada so my money doesn't go as far up here. My plan is probaby to use the 360 I have currently if it' cheaper and build it but is it even possible to build a stroker for 5k ? What would be needed to make the 383 make 400 to 450hp would it be cheaper to do that way and sell mine as a running motor that way? I need my duster to beat my buddies 68 chevelle that has a built 383 with about 475hp in it. Thanks again for the help

Hi guys thanks for the replies forgot to mention I'm in Canada so my money doesn't go as far up here. My plan is probaby to use the 360 I have currently if it' cheaper and build it but is it even possible to build a stroker for 5k ? What would be needed to make the 383 make 400 to 450hp would it be cheaper to do that way and sell mine as a running motor that way? I need my duster to beat my buddies 68 chevelle that has a built 383 with about 475hp in it. Thanks again for the help

You didn't watch the video, did you? Watch the video and copy that 383.

All things being equal the difference will be barely noticeable. That's using the standard formula for torque being Force times Lever. The longer stroke of a 360 will just about compensate for the larger bore of the 383. It won't equal the torque but when you factor in the weight of the 383 things will be real close.

Skip the MSD & use the Pace Performance ready to run distributor. Same stuff at a cheaper price. Talk to member Johnny Pace.
Use the RPM with a 1 was inch spacer.
Next size up cam.
TTI headers/exhaust

Step 2
Extra money left over, port the heads as far as you can.
When that’s done, use the proper stall converter and gears for the task at hand.

Step 3, kick his ***.

Class is over, your good to go.

It is. If you get to do the aluminum on the big block then you get to do aluminum on the small block. Fair is fair.

Your a dip chit. LMAO
I guess I should have simply said
“As light as a stock small block”, which is just fine in an A body last I checked.

I did watch the video so is it basically a stock bottom end and pistons with a milled head to raise compression ratio and just a cam and intake carb for 440hp?

-- _ _ _ _ _
I disagreed on your post. I have a 400 B engine in a ‘71 Duster right now. There are NO from end mods done. It runs, drives just fine. _ _ _ _ The extra weight is noticed but not hinder normal or lightly spirited driving in any way shape or form. --
-- Yep !! -- I had a 500 in a 68 Dart - No problems.

I vote 360 my last one (stock stroke) went 11.78@113..kicked many a big block ***:D:D

In my humble opinion I would use the 360 and here is why:

You already have it

Some degree of weight advantage depending on aluminum heads etc.

More room in engine compartment

No additional parts needed, ie mounts, driveline stuff

Horsepower goals could be easily met using good heads, intake, cam, and good pistons. At those power levels your bottom end would be up to the task with a refresh, provided it is in decent condition.

Your Duster is a lighter car than a Chevelle, a nice 360 streetable combo should easily embarrass the 383.

The feeling of satisfaction of winning with a smaller engine will be great!!!

-
Back