budget street motor 360 or 383 for 71 duster

-
LMAO!

Leadfoot made a good point. As well as a few other members. Lighter front ends help a good bit in the total package. The big choice is really up to you.
Decisions decisions decisions .....
Well, no matter which way you go, everyone here has excellent points.

Like I said early, i’m a small block guy really. There easier to come by and a slight cheaper not to mention you have one in there already.
Then again, 23 more cubes is 23 more cubes...

I vote for the front mounted distributor and cubic inches, 383. If your stroke'n, 431 is a good number.

Torque and all of a stroked 383 or 400 even yet. Handle? Put an oversized front sway bar on it. Yes it is nice to get to the dist. Lighten it p if yo have the $ with alum. heads, water pump, intake of course....

Keep the small block. By the time you buy everything to make the big block work you could build a 408 and easily meet your goals and have plenty of torque to run those 3.55s. And Ive been damn impressed with some stock stroke 360s at the track. If built right they scream.

Ok so sounds like the 360 is the way to go only reason I was asking was I did get a couple quotes when i thought i neededmore power to beat him and they were in the range of 11 to 13k for a 550hp roller motor thats what made me think go big block but now im little more reserved and just want to have more fun and beat up on some chevys haha. Would my 360be the way to go or use a magnum motor thinking I'll use some aluminum heads incase I want to go bigger down the road. The thought of having a big block in there tho is a cool idea.

Ok have you guys ever had a 383? Or had a mild or built 383? More torque and less money to get to 400-500 hp. I thought he was on a budget of 4-5k. You dont not need a stroker kit or aluminum heads to get 400-475 hp out of a 383. 400-475 hp out of a 360 will take way more money. A little heavier in the front but not much. His suspension will be fine as is. Now dump the LA 360 for a 360 magnum I may go that route.

Last edited:
Yes I have owned several 383s most were stock. Damn good motors. I just thought by the time he buys a 383,727,mounts.all the accessory mounts and 800 dollar headers,and more he might be ahead building a small block. Not saying your wrong, just my opinion.

Ok have you guys ever had a 383? Or had a mild or built 383? More torque and less money to get to 400-500 hp. I though he was on a budget of 4-5k. You dont not need a stroker kit or aluminum heads to get 400-475 hp out of a 383. 400-475 hp out of a 360 will take way more money. A little heavier in the front but not much. His suspension will be fine as is. Now dump the LA 360 for a 360 magnum I may go that route.

but figure in the cost of the 727 and converter to fit the 383......and the performance hit on the 727,,,,...dont know what he has now but assuming it is a904.....

It has a 727 in it now with stock 1100 stall so well be changing that out either way I go is the big block 727 different in size or is it just the bell housing.

The car doesn' have headers on it either so will be buying a set either way I go

Sounds like you really want to go big block. That's just fine. If you want a big block just do it. Don't build a small block and when your done wished you would have gone big block. Its your car build it the way you want the first time.

If you go big block do a 440, in my opinion the conversion required to go big block is not warranted for 23 cubes. 440 on the other hand is a whole other story.......

I still would not rule out the 360, have you seen what a decent 360 will do?

Enthusiasts often get into the mindset of needing something bigger and better, I know Ive been there myself. Often what you were looking for is what you already have but don't realize it.

Ok if I go small block should I go with the magnum motor over my L.A.. also which motor would be better to build on say I wanted around 500 to 550 in a year or two down the road? Is there anything I would need to get the magnum to bolt up or is it a direct swap

Ok if I go small block should I go with the magnum motor over my L.A.. also which motor would be better to build on say I wanted around 500 to 550 in a year or two down the road? Is there anything I would need to get the magnum to bolt up or is it a direct swap
Again, use what you have. Magnum stuff is good and many people use it with great success. Personally I like the LA stuff.

I wouldn't bother with the la 360, now the magnum 5.9 I'd consider.

Yes I have owned several 383s most were stock. Damn good motors. I just thought by the time he buys a 383,727,mounts.all the accessory mounts and 800 dollar headers,and more he might be ahead building a small block. Not saying your wrong, just my opinion.
He said he had the big block 383 already? I wouldn't go out and get one if I had a 360 between the fenders now. I'd just do the 360 and I'd do the LA version. Just not the stock heads.

Oh yea, Package #9 with a better cam.

So am I better of then with my L.A. 360 or should I go find a magnum block

So am I better of then with my L.A. 360 or should I go find a magnum block
Keep your block if it checks out fine, spend money on good heads, cam, pistons, intake, exhaust.

LA 360 here like rumble! Just more confident of rockers riding on shafts rather than magnum rockers free floating like a chevy motor!

I mentioned the oversized front sway bar IF you have the B Bin in an A body and want to fly around curves. 67 383 cuda is how I know, from years past.

I agree with above bout going with the LA block. Think about it. People get pulled toward the magnum as they can be had with lots of miles and little cylinder wear. I still say stroke a B block. My vote. But hey I am spending your money!

street engine / stop light cruiser,never mind hp you want torque from 800 rpm to 5000
Rebuild the 360 with 9.5 : 1 compression,keep the cam duration down and you'll be fine
with even J heads.
A quarter mile build would be very different.

Ok sounds like I'm just gonna use my 360 I have now what' size headers do you guys recommend and should I go stroker or just use my stock crank and is it better to go aluminum on the heads or work the stock ones? Would like the most power out if it for the cheapest somewhere between 400 and 450hp would be awesome.

-
Back