Build thread- 73 duster, forged 5.7 w/ PS and AC, 5 spd, big brakes and floater rear

-

Uhcoog1

Reaction score
Figured I need to start posting up pics and updates for all to see.

1973 Plymouth Duster, bought new by my grandparents in 73

Motor - looking for 450+ rwhp:
Forged 5.7 hemi- wiseco 21cc dome pistons, Eagle K1 rods, 6.1 crank.
FRI Extreme 5.7 heads. Flow 360 cfm with factory 6.1 port volume. Velocity should be great.
GTP ported 6.1 intake. Craig says the flow won't hold the heads back, at all.

Special Hemi mods:
Factory power steering
Custom headers built/welded by me
Sanden 7176 AC Compressor- fitting required
TTI Spool mounts
TTI Oil block off plate
Remote oil filter, oil cooler, and accusump
Megasquirt MS3x engine management. Will scale each cylinder tuning with O2 sensor and EGT probes.
Used NASCAR Double pass radiator

Fuel system:
Carter 4600 HP lift pump
BC Bronco's fuel accumulator
Walbro GSL 392 EFI Pump
WIX 33737 corvette filter / regulator

Rest of drivetrain:
Mopar aluminum hemi flywheel, center force dual friction clutch.
Tko600 Keisler kit
Ford 9" full floater

Brakes:
Dr diff 14.25" front kit- gen 3 viper calipers
gen 3 viper calipers on 13" rotor- fab work required
Dr diff 15/16" manual brake master cylinder with adjustable pushrod
Wilwood rear brake proportioning valve

Suspension:
Dr diff offset leaf spring mount, custom for Mopar road race spring length
0" arch Mopar leaf springs
1.04" Mopar Perf torsion bars
Custom (thanks Dave!) Hellwig front bar- 1 5/16 with .250 wall - minor K frame fitting required. If I need a rear bar, it will be Hellwig!
RCD bilstein shocks - might have Peter (Gmachinedartgt) spec different shocks in future
Moog offset UCA bushings
AR Engineering camber spacers
Reilly motorsports adjustable strut rods

Interior:
Marshall custom gauges on the way
Hyundai Genesis leather front seats
XV seatbelts

Wheels and tires:
2007 Mustang GT500 18x9.5" on all 4
275/40/18 all 4 on street
275/35/18 R compound on the track all 4

Pictures:

b2b539d6.jpg

8f60460f.jpg

5dc115bd.jpg

cbf9be90.jpg

AC pictures:

2b24a502.jpg

Seems I forgot to take a mock up picture. It'll be a few days before I show it mounted...

Update:

Here's what I threw together without putting the timing cover back on.

I had to trim down the timing cover significantly to make this work. I drilled through it for the front hinge, and I need to get someone who welds aluminum to weld an aluminum washer on there or something.

The front bottom hinge has a piece of steel bolted to the back of it from the timing cover. Picture below. Also, I had to trim the spool k member piece so the compressor could sit more upright.

ba7d3fc5.jpg

51244310.jpg

2a492d92.jpg

29c528f6.jpg

318fead7.jpg

1416bc3d.jpg

I'll keep adding pictures to the above posts as I get them. A lot of stuff is done, but it seems I don't always remember to take pictures :/

Very nice, I want to see more!!!

Thanks guys!

I'm cleaning up the k member after welding it and bending it to fit the sway bar. I'll get some pictures of the bend required, though I've already covered it with a skid plate. Still need to sandblast it and paint it, along with the LCA's and UCA's.

I'm currently waiting on EGT bungs to weld on my header primaries, and crank/flywheel and flywheel/clutch bolts. I think that's all I lack to put the motor and tranny in for the final time. Ended up running RobbMC offset dowel pins, got it within .001" runout. Apparently that is key to keeping the tko trannies alive.

Very cool, you should start a thread under Members Restorations so more see it. Its worthy, keep up the good work

I'd like to see more pics of the A/C and how you intend to make it fit. I want to do the same with my Dart but I currently have a stock compressor.

The stock compressor fits with the AlterKtion? That's awesome.

I'll get some pics of my compressor later. But, if the factory one fits for you, I wouldn't change it.

Bouchellon sells a under hood kit for us hemi guys- $350-$400 for everything under hood minus the compressor (using a hemi compressor). That is a good option for sure.

I might end up piecing one together, and I've found a couple places with a condenser that might be about the right size.

It will fit with the K frame but it hits the TTi motor mounts.

-
Back