"Bullitt" Charger Stunt Driver: "Chargers Much Faster Than Mustangs"

-

ocdart

Inland Mopars Car Club
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Classic car-chase movie "Bullitt" stunt driver Bill Hickman (he drove the black 1968 Dodge Charger in the movie) told a magazine many years after the movie that the 375hp 440 engines in both Chargers used in the movie scenes were largely unmodified while the 325hp 390 engines in the two 1968 Mustang GTs were heavily modified as were the brakes and suspensions for the race scenes. He remarked that the stock Dodge 440s were so much faster than the Mustang that the drivers had to keep backing off the accelerator to prevent the Dodge from easily pulling away from the Mustang.
Read more interesting details about "Bullitt" here:
https://myclassicgarage.com/social/...dium=WeeklyEmail&utm_campaign=2013WeeklyEmail

I had read that McQueen was a Ford guy. He & another guy took the Mustang & the Charger to the strip to race.
The Charger of course won. McQueen had them add headers & a different carb, still had the same result.

hells fire! we all should have known that long before Steve did.he probably knew it too. he just liked the rusting better.........lol.Artie

Just read that article. Loved the part where the stunt guy driving the Charger had to keep letting off cause he was easily pulling away from the Mustang, LOL...

The rustang was heavily modded both drivetrain and suspension wise. They said about all they had to do to the charger was skid plates.

On the Bullitt DVD(commentary), Peter Yates the director commented even modified 390's had trouble keeping up with the 440 Chargers.

...........and the lemon yellow Lemans..............

Of course we just HAD to go down Lombard about 8 times after that.................

San Francisco is where I learned about "Line Locks" My friend who would later be the original owner of my '70 440-6 RR had a 65 Chevelle then.........with a 67 350 in it. Linelock is sure handy on some 'o them hills

Lombard_Street-_San_Francisco,_CA.jpg

-
Back