Cam & street/strip advice for 340

-

Corpsereviver

Reaction score
I have a '69 340 block with 10.5 compression. I'm going to fully port the heads and intake. I have a Weiand action plus intake with a 2" spacer and a Holley 750 (might change out if it's not large enough). Windage tray is on it and it will have a stock oil pan for now until I get a 7 quart. Still trying to think of what kind of cam. I also have hooker comp headers. Is there anything you would add or change? I'm looking to be anywhere in the 12s in the quarter. I have a 727 with a 2700-3000 stall and 3:73 gears which I might change to 4:10. All in a stock Duster.

I have the Comp XE268H in my 69 340 4 speed Cuda. I am very happy with that cam. It sounds like you want a bit more than me, so I'd suggest the Comp XE274H cam. That should easily get you into the 12s if you can hook up.

Is your compression "advertised" or really measured/calculated compression? Knowing real compression is important to know when you select a new cam.

It does have true 10.5/1. Checked it all and everything. I can always change stall too if mine is a little too weak. And I've also been sort of looking into the comp XE274H.

I think you are on the right track for you intended goal.... no pun intended. With the gears and such, you'll be turning some pretty good RPM's. So hopefully the bottom end is stoutly built.

BTW, the question about the SCR is because the factory spec was inaccurate, and even with later parts, it is often not what people think. If you have open chamber heads, it becomes a more likely area of question.

-
Back