Car died while driving, ignition help!

-

MoreDart

Reaction score
I was driving down the road in my 72 Dart (pictured in profile) with a SB 360. It has run fine, minus running a little rich- but none the less, has not ever caused me a problem. Anyways, I came up to a stoplight and the car just DIES. I cranked over the engine several times to try and get it to start but no dice. When the tow truck brought it home to me I started to replace all the ignition components (Ballast resistor, MSD 6AL box, Blaster 2 coil compatible with 6AL, OEM distributor, Cap, Rotor, Wires, Plugs) Right now I have narrowed it down to 1 thing, and that is the spark plugs are not getting any spark. I have read alot about the issue and I dont feel as though I am an idiot but I just dont understand what could cause this. I have red-blueish spark coming out of the coil when I test the MSD box, and all the wires are hooked up correctly, and I dont think it would be the Stator (or pickup coil) because that was just replaced with a brand new one; and I also regrounded the engine on the frame steel to steel. The original set up in the car when it had broken down was a MSD 6A box, Accel coil, OEM distributor, Accel 8mm wires and Bosch coppertops. All we replaced to replicate what was in it originally minus the 6AL box. Like I was saying, COIL=SPARK, PLUG=NO SPARK. Mopar gods be kind to me, and please let me know what I am doing wrong!

If your running a tach try unhooking it from the coil. I had a tach fail years ago and it was similar to a ballast going bad. Also is the distributor rotating? Red blue spark of the coil sounds weak. Any type of noise filters installed on ignition system?

Check supply voltage to the MSD box, get the sheet (destructions) and go through it

You using a Mopar style dist? Check the reluctor gap, inspect the reluctor/ pickup for damage, and "work" the connector in/ out to scrub the terminals clean.

Put your voltmeter on low AC volts in the disconnected dist. connector and crank the engine. The pickup coil should generate about 1 volt AC

"New" does not mean "functionally good."

If you're getting sparks ( not just 1 spark but sparks ) from the coil wire while turning the engine over the ignition is working ( at least when in start ). The fault would have to be in the cap, rotor button, plug wires. If you het only 1 spark from the coil each time the key returns from start to run, the ballast resistor or ignition switch is the problem.

Ill see what I can do with the pickup coil.. to answer your comment redfish, I tested the spark on the coil by looping the circut from the magnetic pickup on the MSD box, some people use the "white wire".

Wow is this a common problem? My dad drove my dart just after finally getting it on the road and called me saying the car instantly died while driving. Acted like someone just pulled the battery cable off or turned the key off. Pretty unsafe if you ask me.

I think your supposed to remove the ballast resistor when using an MSD. I think I remember it in the instructions. Been on the car for about 15 years. Might be why you have a weak spark at the coil. Probably not the reason your car won't start, but something to consider.

I think your supposed to remove the ballast resistor when using an MSD. I think I remember it in the instructions. Been on the car for about 15 years. Might be why you have a weak spark at the coil. Probably not the reason your car won't start, but something to consider.

Actually does not matter with MSD. The small red trigger wire is only (think of it as a relay) a power on / off control. Main power comes in through the "big" red and black

Go to the MSD site. There is instructions on troubleshooting there. The tach is NEVER hooked to coil NEG with a CD (MSD) ignition

Does the rotor turn when you crank it?
Sometimes ya just got to start with the obvious.
Think about it, what distributes the spark? and you have spark at the coil but not at the plugs.

yes..the ballast resistor is suppose to be removed with a msd...the two wires should be connected together to provide 12 volts to the msd box...

-
Back