car wont run

-

dragracer501

Reaction score
I have a 1969 dodge dart and a few weeks ago I was making a pass and about half way the car shut off and hasn't restarted. its not a fuel issure definetly ignition related, I bypassed the bulkhead connector because I thought one of the fusible links went bad and it melted the connector so I made a jumper wire through the firewall with a 30 amp fuse in it. I installed my old ignition box and the car ran but it ran like crap then I hit the gas and it blew the box literally blew a little hole in it, so I ordered a new box and installed it started the car then I was under the hood and the fuse I previously mentioned started to glow and it blew the fuse and im guessing the ignition box as well. im lost the car has all factory wiring so I don't know if theres a ground that went bad and caused all this. any help where to start or any knowledge of ground locations would be awesome I wanna drive my car!!

What alternator are you running? Any idea what voltage it is putting out? Sounds like it may be going full field charge at a high rate. Also check grounds from engine to chassis.

I bought the lowest alternator napa had but going through the traps its putting out like 60 amps andit had like 2 different spots to connect the wire so I might have done it wrong. and I read that putting in the fuse were the fusible link went was the wrong thing to do so I might have screwed that up too so im gonna fix that as well

had like 2 different spots to connect the wire so I might have done it wrong.

No idea what this means, unless you are talking about the later, 70 and later type alternator. You can actually use those if you connect them correctly.

A 30A fuse in the charging line is not adequate. Hard to say at this point, are you sure the wiring is 'all factory' and has not been chopped up? It's impossible to imagine what you might have otherwise.

I agree with above, sounds like "maybe" you have something causing the alternator to go "full output" raising the system voltage to a high level.

Without photos and more info, impossible to say.

You got a camera?

Photos of bulkhead / firewall connector, the VR, and the alternator. Show where and how the ignition box is mounted. Describe exactly what you did. Terms such as "like had" don't make it.

Even if you do not do the mod in this article, this is a good place to start, as it shows up the typical problems with these systems:

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/amp-gauges.shtml

You have a factory shop manual? If not you can download them, free, over at MyMopar

ill take some pictures at my lunch its a 69 and the wiring was actually in good condition I just installed the fuse thinking that was the problem

-
Back