Carb options for a 360, opinions?

-

fshd4it

Squid inc
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of a (street) LA 360 build, and it's time to decide what carb to use. The recipe is pretty basic; stock stroke w/ Scat I-beam rods and Speed Pro H116CP pistons (zero deck), ported X-heads that flow about 250 @ .500, and a c/r right about 10-1. Edelbrock air-gap intake, TTI headers, and probably either a Comp XE 275 HL or Hughes H2832AL cam. I have 2 carbs, a Holley 3310 (neighbor took it off his 331 hemi, thought it was too big) that probably needs a kit, or at least see if it's been fiddled with internally; and a Carter "competition" 750 (#9755) that's 15+ years old but has never been on a motor. Your thoughts/experiences with one of these being better than the other? Or does it pretty much come down to personal preferance? I've also considered buying a new one, with 4 corner idle, quick change vacuum springs, and all the other fancy gizmos...just not sure if I really need all that.

Ditto since it is brand spanning new.

Though truly, what ever your fine with fiddling with.

Pretty much all of my experience is with AFBs, as I have 3 engines with the 600/625 version. Tuning, other than adjusting the idle and other basics, is something I haven't done much of. Most of my stuff is thrown together, and if it runs, it runs. I'm assuming the jets, rods, springs, etc for the Edelbrocks are common with the Carter carbs?[/QUOTE]

the eddy 600 with electric choke is very hard to beat for a daily driver..

"Common?" Sure, they can be swapped without issue. I do not remember having any issues.

If your going to purchase a new carb, that one scamp mike listed is sweet. A four corner idle is really nice when cams grow in size. (Not that I think you need it now.)

something off of this page - Carburetors > Street > SS-Series - - I put a Quick Fuel 750 Race on a 360 (it's a little "warmer" than your combo) - bolted it on and never looked back... good luck with the build!
Mike- Thanks for the input. I'm assuming you've got the DP version? My duster also has a 360 with a 750 DP (4778) on it, and at this time I'm not really happy with it's street manners. That said, I know very little about that motor...I think the car was set up for bracket racing in it's former life, and I haven't dug into the motor yet to see exactly what i've got. Heck, the distributor might even be locked out for all I know.

If your going to purchase a new carb, that one scamp mike listed is sweet. A four corner idle is really nice when cams grow in size. (Not that I think you need it now.)
You're absolutely correct there, I want to finish this engine and leave it be. I have others to re-visit, as I built them before I had a clue of what I was doing. Wish I knew now what I thought I knew then. Honestly, picking one carb over the other might "leave something on the table", but I'm not sure I would even notice?

I had a Demon 750 on it previously - really wasn't optimal - not set up properly at all... took that off and put the Quick Fuel (yes DP) on there and BOOM, like a different car... but it sounds like you may have other things going on besides an unhappy carb situation. Funny, my car was a bracket race car too, I have been working to make more street-able.. so hard to find that balance.

You're absolutely correct there, I want to finish this engine and leave it be. I have others to re-visit, as I built them before I had a clue of what I was doing. Wish I knew now what I thought I knew then. Honestly, picking one carb over the other might "leave something on the table", but I'm not sure I would even notice?
yea - so you're going street thumping here - not necessarily looking to do the 1/4mi in 9.48sec... call Quick Fuel and talk to them, they have good tech support and will surely point you to the right carb

I had a Demon 750 on it previously - really wasn't optimal - not set up properly at all... took that off and put the Quick Fuel (yes DP) on there and BOOM, like a different car... but it sounds like you may have other things going on besides an unhappy carb situation. Funny, my car was a bracket race car too, I have been working to make more street-able.. so hard to find that balance.
I actually may be putting the cart before the horse a little bit, as I'm not really sure which rig this motor is going in. I've made the mistake of gathering stuff (buying pieces seems to be the easy part), now I'm finally commited to doing something with it all. BTW, beautiful car you've got there. An early Scamp is at the top of my list to hunt for next, but I will have to thin the herd by at least one before I can justify it. On another note, how do I quote / reply to more than one post at the same time? Thanks, Karlin.

Got that right buddy..Quickfuel BEST damn carb I've ever used..Demon WORST carb I ever wasted money on..

I actually may be putting the cart before the horse a little bit, as I'm not really sure which rig this motor is going in. I've made the mistake of gathering stuff (buying pieces seems to be the easy part), now I'm finally commited to doing something with it all. BTW, beautiful car you've got there. An early Scamp is at the top of my list to hunt for next, but I will have to thin the herd by at least one before I can justify it. On another note, how do I quote / reply to more than one post at the same time? Thanks, Karlin.
you can only reply to one at a time - if you want to quote multi-messages just click the quote link at the bottom of each message you want to quote - then click the insert quote(s) link next to Insert Bookmarks (it's not there if you haven't quoted) - reply and quote are totally different animals - - and thank you! :thumbsup: appreciate the compliment a LOT!

actually, just for sh*ts and giggles, I just clicked reply on three different messages - it loaded it all into one window.. so, 6 of one and a half dozen of the other... the difference being the format of the outgoing post...

you can only reply to one at a time - if you want to quote multi-messages just click the quote link at the bottom of each message you want to quote - then click the insert quote(s) link next to Insert Bookmarks (it's not there if you haven't quoted) - reply and quote are totally different animals - - and thank you! :thumbsup: appreciate the compliment a LOT!

actually, just for sh*ts and giggles, I just clicked reply on three different messages - it loaded it all into one window.. so, 6 of one and a half dozen of the other... the difference being the format of the outgoing post...
quote, quote, quote got me this ^

quote, quote, quote got me this ^
reply, reply, reply got me this ^
OH - ahhhh hahahahahaha - they look the same!!!!! :rofl:

Your not going to really notice the difference between the carbs much. Leaving something on the table is a funny thing. And point of view as well.
Max HP wise, your leaving tons on the table and should throw out half of what you have and start buying half of the summit catolog. ..... as some people think. The just like to solve there problem the way the government fixes stuff, throw bags of money at it until it gets working again.

Rumblefish- Funny you said that about Summit. I honestly believe that's where all the aftermarket parts on my '74 Duster came from. Wheels, seats, fuel system, gauges, steering wheel, and probably all the parts in the engine. But I shouldn't throw stones...when I redid my 340 back in 1988, I walked out of Super Shops (anyone remember them?) with everything they could talk me into. I prefer "gullible" to "ignorant". I hope. I'm thinking at this point I'll use the Carter, leave the 3310 on the shelf, call Quick Fuel for their recommendation, and see what I think after I run this thing for a while. Besides, I'll be buying a new converter (at least) and spending $$$ I don't need to will be a big factor. Thanks for all the input guys, I appreciate it.

Sounds like a good plan. Get her up and running now with the 750 and check out the Holley later. When time and money allow.

Rumblefish- Funny you said that about Summit. I honestly believe that's where all the aftermarket parts on my '74 Duster came from. Wheels, seats, fuel system, gauges, steering wheel, and probably all the parts in the engine. But I shouldn't throw stones...when I redid my 340 back in 1988, I walked out of Super Shops (anyone remember them?) with everything they could talk me into. I prefer "gullible" to "ignorant". I hope. I'm thinking at this point I'll use the Carter, leave the 3310 on the shelf, call Quick Fuel for their recommendation, and see what I think after I run this thing for a while. Besides, I'll be buying a new converter (at least) and spending $$$ I don't need to will be a big factor. Thanks for all the input guys, I appreciate it.

I kinda miss Super Shops. There was one just down the street.

-
Back