Carpet install questions

-

fireguyfire

Reaction score
Firstly, merry Xmas and a happy new year to everyone here.
I’m about to install a new carpet set into my 67 barracuda fastback. On the rear of the flip up seat, as well as along the top of the rear flip down plywood trunk divider, the old carpet has some slot screws with washers helping to hold the carpet on.
I’m assuming that these were not there originally and was an attempt by the previous owner years ago to hold up the edge of the carpet where it started to fail from the plywood.
I’ll attach a photo, but I wanted to confirm that these screws are not factory?

And my second question is, what type of adhesive should a guy use to glue the new carpet to the plywood on the back of the fold down rear seat plywood, and the fold down divider?

IMG_3982.jpeg

those screws are not factory/the carpet meets the metal cap trim/the carpet makes that to thick to put the metal trim on top of

1703627569134.png

aftermarket carpet is thicker not allowing the metal painted trim to cover both the edge of the panel and the carpet.

So my carpet set came with pieces that cover the tapered sides below the rear window, but mine are painted black steel and don’t appear to have ever had carpet on them.
Did these sides have carpet from the factory here?

IMG_3990.jpeg

So my carpet set came with pieces that cover the tapered sides below the rear window, but mine are painted black steel and don’t appear to have ever had carpet on them.
Did these sides have carpet from the factory here?

View attachment 1716183747
In 1968 & '69 that area was carpeted as part of the extra cost interior decor package. The description of the decor package for 1967 doesn't mention it, so maybe not available. Maybe a 1967 expert could weigh in and enlighten us.

In 1968 carpeted sides were part of an interior package. 1968 only had bottom dash pad. In 1969 the fold down back seat was optional. Each year got progressively cheaper. The 150MPH speedo w/trip came as an interior package, so I don't think you will find a 1968 150MPH speedo w/o a woodgrain dash insert. Locking glovebox was an option.

I have a question not to hijack but is glue used on the hump to get carpet fitting nice and tight to the floor contours?

-
Back