Carter BBS #R32 Choke Rod

-

1970Dart198

Reaction score
I recently noticed my choke rod was missing off of my choke pulloff! Maybe that's why I was having such hard cold starts.... I believe that little clip holding it on gave way, it looked pretty insecure anyway, allowing the whole rod to fall off while I was driving. I've looked high and low for a choke rod, I contacted Walker products, and ordered one on-line, but they didn't have one and the part was discontinued. I saw that the BBD choke pulloff rod was in stock, #R90. Could I order that one and just bend it shorter so it fits? Thanks.

The item you're after isn't a choke rod, it's a choke pull-off link. The choke rod is the one that runs up from the choke thermostat on the exhaust manifold.

A BBD choke pull-off link won't work as is. You might have some success rebending it, but that's a lot of very tight, very short bends to make on work-hardened steel that's already got tight, short bends in it. You'd be better off either putting up a want ad over at slantsix.org , or going to the hardware store, fetching some appropriate-diameter brass rod, and making your own.

Here's a picture of what I need. This is from a BBD, but its the same shape and bends. I know the BBS versions are a bit smaller.

Q3089C-wl.jpg

I just used a brass coat hanger that I had. Easily bendable and roughly in the same diameter. The clip might be a little bit harder to find. Where it connects to the Choke Pulloff is where the clip came off and eventually the whole rod. Unlike a Holley 1920's choke pulloff rod where there is a small roll pin, the carter has a cheap looking clip. I could just bend the rod upwards so it always stays in place. I'll try something!

Coat hanger wire is neither thick enough nor rigid enough. Go to the hardware store and get brass rod of the correct diameter to just fit without binding in the holes in the choke pull-off and the choke lever.

-
Back