cherry bombs or purple hornies?

-

67valiant

Reaction score
i have a 318 .030 over, 340 cast iron intake, and a .443/.465 cam and headers,
i was wondering what i would get the best sound with, i want loud but still sounds good. i was either going to go with 3inch enter and exit cherry bombs or puple hornies, let me kno what u think.

i have a 318 .030 over, 340 cast iron intake, and a .443/.465 cam and headers,
i was wondering what i would get the best sound with, i want loud but still sounds good. i was either going to go with 3inch enter and exit cherry bombs or puple hornies, let me kno what u think.

I wouldnt run glasspacks on my farm truck! I would look at some chambered mufflers, which have been proven to be better than the straight thru type (glasspacks) anyhow. You cant go wrong with some flowmasters or you could try the Hooker mufflers, I had them on my Dakota & loved them! Or if you wanted to go all out, for a little extra, spintech makes the best preformance on the market, buy they are a little pricey$$!!

Good luck!

I "Had" dual cherry bombs on my 340 duster and they sounded killer. Deep mellow throaty sound. I had no choice but to rid of it because the whole system was rotted. I replcaced with 40 series flowmasters. Sounds good when it downshifts, but it just sounds like every car out there with a flowmaster. I'm def. going back to cherry bombs.

Purple Hornies, but only because I like the name. :)

But seriously, back in the day, the only straight thoughs we would use were the Thrush glasspacks. they sounded great too.

The Cherry Bombs used to be in a 50 gal barrel by the front door of the parts store with a label that said " Any 2 for $20", but you had to ask for the Thrush mufflers, whether they be the glass packs or the Hush Thrush style.

I know the red hots by hooker have a true inside diameter and dont neck down,they actually perform as well as your average chambered muffler (same diameter).To me they sound best right off the headers or with the exhaust dumped at the rear axle,otherwise they get that rapping sound when accelerating/deaccelerating which is good if you like the old 60s sound but I like the loud racey sound.

If you want a bad-*** sounding muffler, try Classic Chambered Powersticks. They're a true chambered straight-through muffler design that sound like Flowmasters on 'roids. Check out their website, they have a nice clip of a '73 Charger 340. http://www.classicchambered.com

PURPLE HORNIES, god I love that name and yes it brings back memories. Here's another, I'm not sure if they were sold in the US but Atlas Tire sold a fat almost slick that they called Big Daddies, I'm pretty sure it was Atlas, and there was even a commercial for them.

Terry

I, like Ramcharger, also liked Thrush the best on Mopars back when I was a kid running around. The Cherry bombs sounded kind tinny. My Cuda has some sort of Turbos (don't really know what brand) on it now that sound like crap. Soon as I get the money their coming off. I clicked on the link provided by Mopekid and have to say those powersticks do really sound good on the 340. The dyno report was also impressive.

I, like Ramcharger, also liked Thrush the best on Mopars back when I was a kid running around. The Cherry bombs sounded kind tinny. My Cuda has some sort of Turbos (don't really know what brand) on it now that sound like crap. Soon as I get the money their coming off. I clicked on the link provided by Mopekid and have to say those powersticks do really sound good on the 340. The dyno report was also impressive.

Don't they? Man, I can't wait to put a pair on my 318. Hopefully it will sound less like a typical V-8 POS car.

Chery Bombs, I loved mine when I had them on my 360 Duster.

No experience with Purple Hornies.

My dad had glasspacks on his 360. It was in a 76 truck. Built up a bit with headers. I thought it sounded nice, and loud!

I think thay were flowmasters though.

I had the Purple Hornies on my Duster, 3-inch in and out right off my tti headers when I first put the 360 in. Sounds freakin cool. Nice sound, but poor ground clearance. I ended up ditching them for a tti exhaust system with Dynomax mufflers. The drone from the hornies gets old after a while for me, but they were easy to install and remove.

-
Back