Colder plugs?

-

Dartish

Reaction score
Here's one of the Autolite 65 copper plugs I've been running since January. It gets run hard on whatever crap fuel the nearest station has, with an occasional bottle of seafoam or VP additive. Stock compression 360. Mild cam, iron heads, RPM intake, Quick Fuel 600 carb,headers and hei with 36° total. Engine coolant stays in the 185 range and it pulls 18" vacuum at 700rpm idle. What are your suggestions? Colder plugs, more carb or timing adjustments or just run it?
0722171744a.jpg

Here's one of the Autolite 65 copper plugs I've been running since January. It gets run hard on whatever crap fuel the nearest station has, with an occasional bottle of seafoam or VP additive. Stock compression 360. Mild cam, iron heads, RPM intake, Quick Fuel 600 carb,headers and hei with 36° total. Engine coolant stays in the 185 range and it pulls 18" vacuum at 700rpm idle. What are your suggestions? Colder plugs, more carb or timing adjustments or just run it?View attachment 1715073217
one step hotter.

Thinking a hotter plug will burn cleaner? IIRC the 65 was just the factory replacement that the super smart pimple faced kid at AutoZone said the computer was telling him to sell me

I don't know...... If it wipes off and the plug still looks good, I think your OK. It's normal for octane additives.

I am not seeing anything unusual....'specially for that lowish compression, where the combustion temps are going to be down. I've seen the coloration change when just swapping fuel brands. I sure wouldn't go colder.

I am not seeing anything unusual....'specially for that lowish compression, where the combustion temps are going to be down. I've seen the coloration change when just swapping fuel brands. I sure wouldn't go colder.
looks like the heat range is too high up on the ground electrode to me , should be a little lower .

That's timing on the ground wire. You see heat in the shell. If the shell is black, it's difficult to read heat range.
You thinking too much timing or not enough? It seems to run better with about 40 total, All in about 3000 and not counting the vacuum advance

Seafoam on occaision and VP Madditive. Maybe a can every 1000 miles or so
So why the sea foam and why the additive? Do you not need the additive for every tank?

I don't think you are off on heat range. But the timing looks high. If the timing is correct, then the plug is too hot. Like I said, I'd rather read heat off the shell. That black shell makes it hard. Almost impossible with a picture.

You thinking too much timing or not enough? It seems to run better with about 40 total, All in about 3000 and not counting the vacuum advance

That seems high. Did you verify TDC and double check the timing light? I've seen dial backs off 7-8 degrees.

Just depends on where I get my fuel. I live in the boondocks and the nearest station is a little place that only has 87 octane ethanol. When I have to get fuel there I add some seafoam or additive. TDC was verified when I built the motor. The timing light is an older NAPA inductive light. No dial. Possible the balancer slipped or the lights off I guess. Doesn't appear to have any detonation issues or kick back on the starter when hot though

-
Back