Common wheels to tow a ‘64 Barracuda

-
Greetings all!

Just “inked” the deal to buy a ‘64 Barracuda project car. The car will need to be towed about 200 miles home on a 2 wheel “car dolly” type trailer (driveshaft removed). Of course, dummy me didn’t think about pulling the 2 rear wheels with perfectly dry rotted tires before leaving the car yesterday after closing the deal, so rather than driving another 400 miles round trip to retrieve them, I hoping I can slap a couple decent (maybe even trailer rated) tires on some cheap “steelies” for the upcoming tow home. So, what I need to find out is what are my best common cheap, junkyard find steel wheel alternatives to replace those little 13” Valiant wheels on, hopefully, the cheap and easy? I understand the “5 on 4” bolt pattern are hard to swap? Again, the car won’t be “living with” these wheels and won’t be driven with them on the back. Just something to get it the approx 200 mile tow home without (hopefully) any safety issue?

Thanks, in advance, for your best ”low buck” suggestions!

Try searching for 13" tires walmart.com & look for Forceum Tires. I bought 4 -13" tires for under $100 that were delivered the next day so I could tow a 64 Barracuda using a Labor "Freight Tow Hitch" for aroudn $60, hooked to the front bumper mounts & magnetic tow lights mounted on the rear. First I removed the 4 old rotted tires & had the 4 new tires mounted for $65 w/o balancing!
Also towed a 1978 280z for my son the same way.

U-haul one day car trailer rental….. A car dolly is for towing your newer car behind an RV…

^^^^^^^^^ This.............. easiest is to get the Uhaul car hauler. Why screw around with that dolly. Also, you are not wasting money on tires you will probably never use again.

View attachment 1716234450
They are right, and they beat me to it. I am really confused. You purchased a 64 Barracuda "project" car. To me that means it needs a lot of work. Work that will likely cost thousands of dollars. Why cheap out on the transportation home?

-
Back