Comp Engineering Frame Ties Install Question

-

madhatta360

1973 Duster 340 H-code TX9
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Quick poll here- I’m installing the comp engineering frame times- bolt/tack welding them on my Duster

Now my question- their use instructions say to let rear hang and jack up the frame, I’ve always been under the impression you want to avoid sagging and load suspension like it would be on the ground? I’m leaning towards using my tire cribs under 4 tires and installing them.

Anyone that can give little feedback or have used or followed their instructions let me know

Comp engineering instructions:

https://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/cee-3115.pdf

I used the same style here is what we did back when we installed them.

On the two post lift, We clamped the frame ties front and in place.

Then we lifted the the car under the rear of the frame ties in the rear, And under the torsion crossmember in the front . Once it was in the air and level, We lifted the center of the rear with a screw style jack stand and removed the rear shackles and left the rear on the jack. So now there was no weight hanging on the shackles or shocks.

At this point, We opted to weld them in due in the past others I bolted in didn't hold tight in the rear. You could see the shadow of movement around the side of the frame ties and the bolts.

We also installed the molded style in the new car. Stronger but more work.

11.jpg

I used the same style here is what we did back when we installed them.

On the two post lift, We clamped the frame ties front and in place.

Then we lifted the the car under the rear of the frame ties in the rear, And under the torsion crossmember in the front . Once it was in the air and level, We lifted the center of the rear with a screw style jack stand and removed the rear shackles and left the rear on the jack. So now there was no weight hanging on the shackles or shocks.

At this point, We opted to weld them in due in the past others I bolted in didn't hold tight in the rear. You could see the shadow of movement around the side of the frame ties and the bolts.

We also installed the molded style in the new car. Stronger but more work.

View attachment 1716219392
Good to know yeah, I had the carpet out last year and redid the interior I wish I would have thought ahead about getting the weld in box style like that def a stronger design.

My plan was to get the car up on my quickjacks and then slide my tire cribs under the tires lower it onto them. Then check the doors and level and if we are good it’s bolt and tack weld time

Good to know yeah, I had the carpet out last year and redid the interior I wish I would have thought ahead about getting the weld in box style like that def a stronger design.

My plan was to get the car up on my quickjacks and then slide my tire cribs under the tires lower it onto them. Then check the doors and level and if we are good it’s bolt and tack weld time
That should work. I don't have quick jacks and I am to old to lay down on the floor and weld. So I take the lift up part way and roll around on a office chair. I have extra chairs so when old friends stop in we can all roll around under the car together and bullshit while they find things wrong they want changed.

20171216_142841 (2).jpg

Last edited:
-
Back