Compare

-

leblanc

member 2883
Reaction score
Take two new carbs, one a regular Holley 600 CFM, the other an Edelbrock Thunder series AVS, both being used on a 350 HP 360 which sees street use only, no strip. Which gives the better performance and gas mileage?

Thats easy, The one thats been tuned to.Ok, sorry. I couldnt resist.
I have successfully tuned both of those to get into the mid to high 30mpgsUSg., on a 360 of closer to 400 hp.I dont recommend you try it. Just saying it can be done.If mpg is important to you, the rest of the combo is very important , as well as powertrain choices and chassis set-up.
Being limited to these two carb choices, I would choose the carb with the metering rods, and purchase the tuning kit on the same orderform.
The Holley is popular because its quick and easy to make WOT stumble-free power, on almost any combo that it has been correctly sized for.Theyre not known for tune-ability in the circuits that affect fuel-ecomomy.
The metering rod carbs, take a bit more time/effort to tune for WOT power. But they have the distinct advantage of being adjustable in the circuits that relate to low speed and fuel economy.Edebrocks are a fine example, and are well-supported in the tuning department. If you take the time to learn and understand them, and the rest of your combo is set up to advantage them, you will not be disappointed.
I always preferred the Carter AVSs with the adjustable air valve secondaries, until the TQs came out. Unfortunately the TQ is no longer supported. And the AVSs were a short run effort, and three-step rods for them are hard to find.Choose the engine/chassis build carefully, and you will be rewarded with an excellent very driveable vehicle.And those are often the most fun.

MOE here. to AJ. just read you post. like you i do like the 3 step rods. even thou i dont run any carbs any more. but years ago i would use a small file to put a flat spot on rods. to adjust the fuel flow. i just used math to find the area change. but didnt do it long enough to get it right. but that was a LONG time ago.

Yeah thats what I also, a long time ago, used to do. When mpg was important to me.I think once you get past 1hp/cid, I think its safe to say (with carbs at least) mpgs are no longer a priority. Certainly by 1.1, fugetabowdit.
Nice to find fellow experimenters.

Hey leblanc, whats that last post mean?
If you are referring to the carbs, then; yes and no. Both will get the job done about the same at WOT. How they get there is a hole nudder story.
I think for you it could go either way. You can just slap the Holley on and just drive it. But, like my earlier post says, If you take the time to learn the Ebrock, it will return better fuel economy, probably a stronger bottom end, and with no loss at the top. The trade-off is time. It may not be for you if you are not willing or able to learn it. The Holley is very happy at the track. It is easy and quick to change all the circuits related to racing,right there in the pits.
AS for me, I would go with the Thunder.

-
Back