convertor seal leak

-

vkute265

Reaction score
hey,
i dynoed my 392 stroker today and afterwoods the tranny was leaking pretty bad and i know convertor seals can be an issue is there a fix so it wont happen again
thanks
Ash
ps: it dyno'd at 360rwhp

904 or 727 904 could have broken convertor hub. 727 could be seal or overheated trans and started blowing out vent in front right behind convertor roller dynos are very hard on convertor car and if guy running it is not that verst in it worst yet if it is a vent leak may want to move it to rear of trans and put catch can on it.

If it settled it most likely isn't the front pump seal cause once they start leaking they don't generally stop. Was it properly filled with ATF? If it was overfull it might have just spewed some out of the vent on the front pump. Or since it's a TCI they might have left the vent baffle out entirely.:eek:ops:

If it settled it most likely isn't the front pump seal cause once they start leaking they don't generally stop. Was it properly filled with ATF? If it was overfull it might have just spewed some out of the vent on the front pump. Or since it's a TCI they might have left the vent baffle out entirely.:eek:ops:
level was checked at idle with gearbox in N and it was between low and full mark to allow for expansion.

thats what i figured maybe its not front seal and its something else

possible it was just leaking out the vent but its unsure until u pull trans nd c if u can c a trail on the pump

we had a club run today and one bloke i spoke to said he had his moved to the back of the main body and some people fit catch cans so it doesnt spill onto the ground as rampage340 mentioned, i have a huge b&m cooler fitted, and thermos and his fan were running and it was only 25 deg C.
during the week ill pull the trans and have a look, i pulled the convertor out of a 904 we have sitting here and i found what i think is the breather hole in the top half of the pump, if its the same on a 727 is it as easy as pulling the box apart and blocking that hole up and drilling and tapping the case to run a breather into a catch can or is there more involved, my father did his apprenticeship with chrysler and has rebuilt a few torqueflites in his time as have a couple of my mates, but never come across this issue, and because i do drag racing with the ute i dont wanna be spilling oil on the track and possibly under the rear tires.

cheers
Ash

Hey Ash it sounds like you had it filled correctly. Not sure why it leaked as I have not had any problems with any I've rebuilt leaking and some have went in some pretty quick cars. I wonder if your converter may have a small crack in it somewhere? Saw that happen on one that would leak then stopped then started again. You are correct about the vent's location. I have read about the mod to tap and plug the vent hole (takes a 1/8" pipe tap and plug) and tried it once. Didn't put the vent in the main case though, put in in the tailshaft according to what it shows in Munroe's 727 Torqueflite manual and the dang thing slung fluid everywhere. Looking at it closer I see where he showed it should be puts it right close to the parking brake gear and I think it was acting like a oil slinger. I thought about trying it farther back on the extension housing (you can put it just about anywhere and it'll do the job) but needed the project done so I just plugged it and opened up the factory plug and it was fine and still working fine 5 yrs. and nearly 10,000 miles later. Never leaks a drop.

Thanks mate, just wondering if the angle of the dyno caused fluid to fall towards the front and spill out under pressure. As its the only time its happened. Converter is new only done 400km at the most.
I'll pull the box tonight or tomorrow night and have a look.

Hum... Not sure how the dyno would have done that unless it was really angled bad. If it's not leaking and the car is running you might as well run it a little to see what happens. Then if it leaks yank it apart.

Hum... Not sure how the dyno would have done that unless it was really angled bad. If it's not leaking and the car is running you might as well run it a little to see what happens. Then if it leaks yank it apart.
ive got just under 3 weeks until our mopar meet at the 1/8th mile track bout 160k's from home, so i think ill pull the box and have a look

i pulled the trans out tonight and when i pulled the convertor i found a wear mark on the neck from the bush on one side its ok but 180 deg around its chewed a bit enough for you to feel ridges with your finger........... is the box out or convertor centers,

i pulled the trans out tonight and when i pulled the convertor i found a wear mark on the neck from the bush on one side its ok but 180 deg around its chewed a bit enough for you to feel ridges with your finger........... is the box out or convertor centers,

Has the engine been line bored and/or honed? If not I'd say it's the converter. If the engine was line bored and/or honed that can throw the engine to trans. centerline out of alignment. Do you have a trustworthy torque converter shop near you? If so they should be able to check it pretty easy.

Has the engine been line bored and/or honed? If not I'd say it's the converter. If the engine was line bored and/or honed that can throw the engine to trans. centerline out of alignment. Do you have a trustworthy torque converter shop near you? If so they should be able to check it pretty easy.
hi mate,
nope engine wasnt tunnel bored, i emailed the covnertor mob (in the usa) and explained the situation and they come back with it shouldnt be our convertor it will be gearbox-engine missalignment. my uncle put me onto a bloke he knows over the northside of town ill give him a call and see what he reckons.
cheers
Ash

Converter shop told me its out by 10thou, so there going to fix it and let me know how good it is inside hopefully ill get it back soon

Sorry about bugging out so long Ash.. Had to go in for back surgery and just now getting back online. 10 thou is quite a bit. Definetly enough to cause a problem.

...........I would be putting in a new bushing in the front pump.......with the converter out u can measure the hub if its on the small side the trick here is to put in a chevy turbo 350 pump bushing in as its alot wider and will carry the load better, stabilizing the converter..........kim........

-
Back