Cooler line size

-

volaredon

Reaction score
I'm considering doing a conversion from a 727 to an a500. The Mopar OD transmissions have 3/8 cooler lines, where the 3 speed tranny's are 5/16. The fittings in the radiator are still only 1/8 NPT.
Do I retain the 5/16 lines and just adapt up at the trans, or do I bend up 3/8" lines that would directly screw into the OD trans fittings, and then just adapt at the radiator, or do I have to get a radiator from something else that also have the larger fittings/ so as to not have a restriction to flow? I do plan on using both the included trans cooler in the radiator and an auxiliary cooler out side the radiator besides.
I know that many a500/518 failures are fluid overheat problems in the first place, so I don't want to handicap that flow with too small of lines. The"victim" of the proposed swap is an 85 D150.
The other option I have on hand is an 833od conversion which would make it all moot... The debate on which way to go/ whether to stay auto or swap to a stick, is subject of a different thread.....

It would be better with 3/8" lines, but you could probably get by just fine with the 5/16" lines. Just make sure to use a large aftermarket trans cooler.

Heat is the enemy more than line size in my opinion.

Tom

Why not run an external trans cooler with the proper sized -AN hoses and fittings and adapt at the trans fittings?

Ive done on a few non-Mopar transmission swaps on the past using some of the oil/trans fluid coolers available at Summit Racing. You can also get -AN adapters for the ports on the transmission.

Just run 3/8 lines to a good aftermarket trans cooler and forget connecting to the radiator at all. 65'

Why not run an external trans cooler with the proper sized -AN hoses and fittings and adapt at the trans fittings?

Ive done on a few non-Mopar transmission swaps on the past using some of the oil/trans fluid coolers available at Summit Racing. You can also get -AN adapters for the ports on the transmission.
I do plan on an aftermarket cooler for sure but I have cooked every trans I have used an external one as a standalone without also using the in radiator version along with it. I used trans coolers rated at something like 14k lb RV in cars such as late b bodies , and a D150 / and if I didn't also use the radiator cooler, the trans smoked.
And I'm not running hoses. Im running metal tube.

-
Back