Cooling a clone.

-

hemicop

Reaction score
"Clone" can be a very broad term & judging from pics here, mine included, many aren't content with doing one "as shipped". Many are done "as raced" or the owners idea of what a streetable Hemi A-body would look like.
So to that end, I'd like to ask : What set-up are you guys using to cool your relatively high-horsepower cars? I'm curious about it All : radiator, fans, pulleys even coolant used. MIne is "okay" on the street but I'd like to keep it cooler still so I'm curious how others are doing it.......

All my builds get a custom built 4 core aluminum (26" wide) cross flow rad and two electric fans with a tight fitting plastic shroud. It ain't cheap but I don't worry about overheating either.

That's pretty much what I have now from Griffin. I'm using a Milodon water pump, and a 6in crank pulley & 6.50 in water pump pulley. Ron Davis radiator in Glendale Az., suggests using a 7in crank pulley & a 5in water pump pulley with their (of course!) radiator.
Yup, it ain't cheap but I'm not sure if the problem isn't simply the pulleys I'm using.

That's pretty much what I have now from Griffin. I'm using a Milodon water pump, and a 6in crank pulley & 6.50 in water pump pulley. Ron Davis radiator in Glendale Az., suggests using a 7in crank pulley & a 5in water pump pulley with their (of course!) radiator.
Yup, it ain't cheap but I'm not sure if the problem isn't simply the pulleys

What you are currently running sounds about right. I've never used a Griffin Rad though. And I've always run a stock (aftermarket) water pump and aluminium water pump housing.

Are you cooling the trans fluid through the rad?

Nope! Separate trans cooler, with about a 2-3in gap between the rad & it. I've since found the 7in pulley---having problems finding a 5in one though. I'm thinking of trying the pulleys before I ditch the rad & spring for a Ron Davis unit. Around here that's what most guys seem to run without any problems but I'm thinking there's only so much any radiator company can do to a radiator, so why switch ?

I feel your pain brother. I have a supercharged 340 in my '69 Dart and it's always been hard to cool. My setup is this. I have a Champion 26" aluminum cross flow radiator with a 7 blade steel factory fan with shroud. Additionally I have an electric pusher fan on the front of the radiator along with a separate tranny/engine oil cooler and a Brass Works high flow water pump.
I still couldn't idle in traffic for long periods but when moving it rarely went above 180*.

I have new hope though, since I installed the new Fitech EFI it appears to be running cooler, we will see. Good Luck

Nope! Separate trans cooler, with about a 2-3in gap between the rad & it. I've since found the 7in pulley---having problems finding a 5in one though. I'm thinking of trying the pulleys before I ditch the rad & spring for a Ron Davis unit. Around here that's what most guys seem to run without any problems but I'm thinking there's only so much any radiator company can do to a radiator, so why switch ?

March Industries or Jim Kramer (Kramer`s) might have what you are looking for. I`d even scout out Racing Junk.

Good Luck!!!!

-
Back