crankshaft main bearing codes

-

Buschi340

Reaction score
I know there is a code with 3 different letters. A, B, C.
My code is C-B-B-B-C
what i found...
B code is 68102976AB
C code is ?? 68102975AB / 68102977AB ??????

In this day and age, the use of OEM Chrysler part numbers would be somewhat irrelevant. If you are replacing bearings, then brands like King, ACL, Clevite or F/M (Sealed Power) is more of an importance to you.

might be. But i can order at a chrysler/Jeep dealership arround the Corner. All aftermarket stuff i have to Import paying more than twice as much considering freight, taxes, customs.

You think parts from OEM like Piston rings, bearings and bolts etc are that bad compared to clevite, sealed power, ARP and such?

Pretty much all of those parts are actually from aftermarket suppliers anyway, the OEM just makes a contract with them. Nothing wrong with OEM parts as they've been selected to withstand some pretty severe conditions. It's only when you start significantly changing power levels or something that things can get funny.

Regarding you part number issue, it could be as simple as Dodge/Chrysler changing the supplier so they gave it a new part number. Maybe they used to get them from Clevite and then they started getting them from Mahle or something. As long as they are same size and cross reference to each other I wouldn't worry too much. I'd see if you could make good friends with the parts counter guy at the dealer assuming he has any real knowledge and pick his brain. They are usually privy to more info than we can find on the internet without spending hours digging through stuff.

Could be the different codes relate to the different bearing positions too, though that would just be a guess.

Fine tuning of bearing clearances,
976ab = standard
975ab = 0.0003 inch or 3/10's of a thou under size
977ab - 0.0003 inch or 3/10's of a thou over size (thicker) of a bearing

code A is what? B is what? C is what? Oversized, undersized or Standard? For my CBBBC crank i Need what bearings to order?

Also the stupid Color code mentioned in the Service Manual. The Color code is inside the bearing ....

Map63Vette, making the Counter guy a friend because he knows everything? ... hahaha, thats a good one. I usually have to bring the part numbers and jump behind the Counter to Show them in the Computer. I live in Germany, remember? They know NOTHING! Last time i had to use the VIN of a SRT Jeep in the Showroom to find parts hahahaha

Map63Vette, making the Counter guy a friend because he knows everything? ... hahaha, thats a good one. I usually have to bring the part numbers and jump behind the Counter to Show them in the Computer. I live in Germany, remember? They know NOTHING! Last time i had to use the VIN of a SRT Jeep in the Showroom to find parts hahahaha

Yeah, it's tricky. You need someone who knows what they are doing, which I realize is not very common any more. I guess probably even more so with your foreign situation. I have met some good parts store guys and some bad ones. Every once in a while you get lucky and find another gearhead.

I ordered and received.
But.... was there a design change? The oil groove different and there is a second hole without usage ...

46CB55D8-20DE-4C82-B041-CA7D8AEA517F.jpeg

3F3910F0-8403-4B7A-9A1B-FD7C181E48D6.jpeg

271C8F72-D35C-4A62-BCA8-645B7EBDD342.jpeg

seems i got it. thanks to the G3 Hemi swap Group on FB.
the additional hole collects oil ( puddle )
the new groove design is a 120° groove and better than the shown half groove before.

the only strange Thing in my eyes is that the holes are still round and not oval which is way better i read.

-
Back