Crush or Pinpoint Top Material

-

2fine69s

69 340-6pak Rag Top
Reaction score
Hey guys,
After a long fiasco with my top not fitting, I have decided to rip it off and start over. Im thinking of going with Crush this time around. Any ideas or horror stories on the Crush material from Legendary?

I personally like the looks of crush better than the pinpoint, but since I am a student of correctness, I will always lean towards that!! That's about all I got!! :)

I have a Crush grain Legendary top on my 70 Chrysler 300 and I really like it.

Don't be afraid to go with a non-original color. The color of the top can really make a difference in how the car looks. The top on my car was originally white.

e9KNoKu.jpg

Anyone care to share top manufacturers and your satisfaction with their quality?

Anyone care to share top manufacturers and your satisfaction with their quality?
I'm putting electron tops on my 2 66 darts(ordering a charcoal rear window instead of clear this time though). The fit was next to perfect with the 65 I just finished.
I've done Electron tops (brass zipper for the tops please.) and ez-on top . both companies had a decent top for fit and finish. I've done a couple early 63-66 darts, 2 62 impala's and about 15 of ugly foxbody (M)rustangs. Using either company. The company that I work for makes custom tops for the 60's 4 door convertible Lincolns totally custom "onesies" there so I can always call on my boss to help me if I get in a jam.

Key tops have long been considered the best in the business! I have an ARO top that I got from a member here for $40, I'm going to install it myself because it was only $40! There was a lot of chatter in the web when I researched the name, mostly because ARO was involved in a huge lawsuit against all 3 automakers back in the day! They supplied all of the tops for the big 3, who took exception to them selling their tops in other places like JC Whitney! They have now been bought out by a very helpful guy who does all of the sewing and stitching himself!! Putt is his name if you're going to call them, and he's very knowledgeable and helpful, and my well liner came in 3 days!

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

You are in North Carolina, EZ Top in Greenville, NC (I think) made mine, fit is great, but I paid to have it installed

Have a dark blue cloth top that is beautiful.

Yes many people have put there own tops on. If you want wrinkle free top and you haven't had sucsess, pay someone.

My top has been on for 12 years

What you see pushing out are spring steel wire to push top out, was a TSB back in the day due to wear holes in the top.

View attachment 1715124226 View attachment 1715124227

You are in North Carolina, EZ Top in Greenville, NC (I think) made mine, fit is great, but I paid to have it installed

Have a dark blue cloth top that is beautiful.

Yes many people have put there own tops on. If you want wrinkle free top and you haven't had sucsess, pay someone.

My top has been on for 12 years

What you see pushing out are spring steel wire to push top out, was a TSB back in the day due to wear holes in the top.

Hey Wildcat
A few weeks back I called Legendary and talked to them about tops. They were really helpful and gave me a couple of options and so I decided to go with the Electron top. Its crush grain instead of the pinpoint like I had earlier. It just came in a week or so ago and now its laid out on the frame with heat in the shop to get some of the wrinkles out prior to installing. The interior guy is coming to my house this Friday to start. On a side point, I have a pair of the spring steel wire pieces that you made a while back. They came from a friend of mine, DA69RT GT. I'm going to to try to repo me a set from his. I just got the .062 spring steel in a couple of days ago. Gonna make a jig this week and give it a shot. Any words of advise?
Martin
PS, You Dart is SWEET!

Hey guys,
After a long fiasco with my top not fitting, I have decided to rip it off and start over. Im thinking of going with Crush this time around. Any ideas or horror stories on the Crush material from Legendary?

I chose a black German Canvas material for my top. It looks way better than any vinyl top I've seen. I too paid a professional to install it. Mine had the glass rear window. Professional install was pricey, but no wrinkles and fits superb.

B3.jpg

Hey Wildcat
A few weeks back I called Legendary and talked to them about tops. They were really helpful and gave me a couple of options and so I decided to go with the Electron top. Its crush grain instead of the pinpoint like I had earlier. It just came in a week or so ago and now its laid out on the frame with heat in the shop to get some of the wrinkles out prior to installing. The interior guy is coming to my house this Friday to start. On a side point, I have a pair of the spring steel wire pieces that you made a while back. They came from a friend of mine, DA69RT GT. I'm going to to try to repo me a set from his. I just got the .062 spring steel in a couple of days ago. Gonna make a jig this week and give it a shot. Any words of advise?
Martin
PS, You Dart is SWEET!

Herb Beers was making the wires to push the top out on the sail panel, but don't think he was using spring steel. He is on here as 67dart (I think)

I made them years ago while at work when I was running a machine that if was running good I had spare time. I tried to make some but just couldn't get into it. Herb made a jig to bend them up. Mine were all done free hand. And to get mirror image was a PIA, but once I got a few rights done then switch to making lefts. Had marked out on my tool box what I needed in lengths. Good luck

-
Back