Dads 67 "S"capade

-
Looks good!

Thanks Craig, hopefully done before I go...I wanna go for a rip in it:burnout:

Awesome job Steve. hmmmmmmm Wards radio you say?

Thanks Wally, google Wards Classic Car Radio, they are out of Alabama. They were awesome, polished the lens, changed a few chrome buttons, n/c. Might sound pricey at $299 but that included shipping and adding the aux jack. Also its am/fm...an am would be cheaper.

Thanks Jay all the credit goes to you and Jim! It is pretty easy really to convince Dad to get done what we have been doing. Should have some more pics this weekend.

Ooooh where to begin??? I spent the better part of 10 hours on my back under the dash. We got the tach wired up, radio hooked up and vacuum line for the a/c switch hooked up. Bezel was in, it just needed to be screwed to the dash, I went to hook up the speaker wire from the radio to the speaker, but couldnt get the wire from the radio loose...Im like wtf??? When we mounted the radio to the dash frame the frickin speaker wires from the radio got wedged between the radio and frame....we didnt notice and snugged up the mount nuts...So now the bezel has to come out partway, then the radio mount nuts off and pull the radio out partway... then wrestled with the wire for 10 minutes to get it out.
New LED's I installed most of them wont light up. I should have bench tested the dash before installling. I have got about 1/2 of them working. But signals inside dont work, and ones around speedo dont work either. Signals outside and 4ways work, as do brake lights and headlights.
Radio installed, but I think the antenna is pooched, we had Wards install an aux jack, so we plugged in the Ipod and it works. So why no radio?? Might be the antenna.
Tach works!
I am not the most patient guy, but it was beyond ridiculous trying to change the LED's from under the dash...I could reach4 or 5 but not all....any ideas??

Legendary door panel installed on pass side, but the tool to "split" the masonite is ridiculous!!

Im sooo ready for a left-handed cigarette right now!! LOL

Here's pics of the Legendary panels, quality is top notch, only beef I have is the tool they give you to "slice" the masonite for the clips. Dad pitched it and sacrificed a screwdriver, worked much better. Dad had to punch the holes in the masonite for the alum trim piece as well. A little tedious making sure they all lined up, but well worth it.

Attachments

• DSCF0647 (Medium).jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 309
  • DSCF0649 (Medium).jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 298
  • DSCF0650 (Medium).jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 298
  • DSCF0656 (Medium).jpg
    71 KB · Views: 315
Okay, that's it! I want it back! There must be some kind of 1 year and a month small print exception somewhere. I'm looking! :-D

Nice job Steve, I think your dad should be very happy for years to come. Thanks for the pics, they're likely all we'll get a chance to see anymore.

Thanks Jim, most if not all the credit goes to you and Jay. It seems like we have done a lot to Dads ride, but I think thats just because we didnt do it right the 1st or 2nd time LOL. Its finally getting to where both Dad and I want it to be.
I spoke to Dad a couple days ago and thanks to Tony Fileds Dad replaced one of the dome lights. That was quite a chore as Dad had to take some of the steel rear interior panels off to replace it properly. Dad is taking it into a shop this week to get the valves set and then it is pretty much done.
Dad may offer to sell it back to you but then we would have to get him another project and Im not sure he has the patience for that!! LOL We still have mine to finish up too yet!!

Thanks
4spdragtop

Hi all, so after more than a year of me living in Sask and Dads passing away in Feb, I finally landed a job in Ontario and purchased Dads cuda from the Estate. I was able to get the cuda out of storage last week, and although very excited, it's a very bittersweet feeling. As much as I love the car and couldnt wait to get home(for several reasons) it's just not the same as before.
It fired right up when I picked it up. But had a noisy lifter. Dad had put an aftermarket antenna on it as something was wrong with the orig one. I took the aftermarket antenna out and will try to solve the antenna issue. As well I adjusted the valves and #8 exhaust was WAY loose. I double checked all the valves and all seems good now.
Factory tach is reading way high! It had me worried, I thought the torque converter or tranny was on the way out. Sucks cuz Dad spent good $$ on it and although it works. Its way off. The ***** of it is removing it. That will have to wait until fall when I get it ready for storage.

Over the last year I have learned more on fabo about timing and tuning carbs(somewhat LOL). So Im still trying to get the timing and carb tuned. The vac advance on the dizzy hits the coil when I try to advance it to approx 18-20* so I pulled the dizzy and removed the gear and rotated it clockwise 1 tooth(or so I thought). and put dizzy back in. Well the slot on the dizzy doesnt match exactly to where the rotor points, so Im still at the same spot where I was. Over the next couple of days I will have a "do-over" with that.
I would like to get as much performance out of it as possible.

The "wish list" includes an LD4B for it, but Im not in any hurry. For now, its just to enjoy it.
Sorry no updated pics, I will get some soon.

Thanks
Steve

Better part of 2 years since I added to this thread. Ive done lots of little things to it every years and driven it every summer without fail. But either $$ is short, or time is short as Im always relocated due to work, so upgrades have been few and far between. Currently only home on weekends.
Only failure its had was a failed thermostat on the 401 last year. Thats my fault, I should have made sure the thermostat had the jiggle valve when Dad n I installed it in 2012, but it didnt.
I planned to do quite a bit of small stuff thru the winter but didnt get a heck of a lot done. I brought it home from storage 2 weekends ago and realized how much stuff I took off it to upgrade over the winter but didnt.
I was able to give the console a bit of a makeover. Freshened the paint and re-striped the top plates. Console body was in good shape but had a few scrub marks, so I used black liquid shoe polish (thanks to 2Darts idea) and it helped "lessen" the scars. I applied it to entire console and let it sit 5 minutes before wiping. Turned out pretty good I think. Scars are still there but not as noticeable.
The one piece of console carpet on the drivers side seemed to come off once a year, so I decided to use the velcro idea I read here on fabo. Seems to work well and fitment is still good.

Right now polishing the tail light lenses and signal lenses.
Its gotta get a stereo in it this year too. Wasted $$ on getting the factory am/fm working. Still only a 2 watt wonder...lol

Thanks for looking,
Cheers
Steve

20160514_140616 (Medium).jpg

20160514_141419 (Medium).jpg

20160514_200913 (Medium).jpg

20160514_200933 (Medium).jpg

20160514_200508 (Medium).jpg

20160514_200523 (Medium).jpg

20160514_200550 (Medium).jpg

20160514_200555 (Medium).jpg

20160514_201410 (Medium).jpg

Looks great Steve, glad to see you're back at it. Also good to hear from you, hoping all is well

Hey Jim! Thanks! Good to see you post. Im trying to take as good care of her as well as you did.
Sweetheart has been rock solid dependable and fun.
A few other upgrades to post Ive done once I get pics organized lol.
Hows your cuda coming along?

So I figured while I had tail lights out I would polish the lenses as well as front signals. They turned out good, I'll post pics later. Reason I posted is one of the tail lens screw/mount hole was broke. I had some JB Weld 2 part epoxy kicking around I picked up from Princess Auto. I wrapped the screw in pipe tape and threaded in to what was left of thread so the epoxy didnt stick to screw.
Applied epoxy let sit overnight and backed out screw by hand. Worked great.

20160515_145036.jpg

20160515_145151.jpg

20160515_150205.jpg

20160515_150218.jpg

Been a while since I updated this specific thread lol. Kinda fitting to try and revive it as the 69 just finally sold and gone. Bittersweet but Dads being home will keep me motivated and hopefully focused!:canada:

1st issue was a "non start" in park. It would in neutral but not park. Tried adjusting linkage underneath. Nada. Was a problem before I stored it. Then I noticed the shifter arm was touching chrome on console. So thought console was back too far. Loosened 4 screws, adjusted it fwd, still nada.
Then pulled console, cleaned switch(turns out to be backup lights switch...doh!)
Then climbed under to check brown wire from starter relay to NSS. Appeared fine but snuggled it up slightly. Now starts fine! No backup lights tho lol. With console out I will redo a couple pieces of velcro on it and give a good cleaning and check b/u lights.
Any idea how to test b/u switch?

20211212_175544.jpg

20211212_181128.jpg

20211212_181111.jpg

its just a sliding contact. OHM meter, Begins at open/park then a closed spot in the middle/reverse, then open again/neutral. Sometimes we can take them apart and clean them. One member used a few parts from the column mounted switch to repair the broken console switch.

Cleaned backup light switch and wanted to confirm proper operation so took video while I ran thru gears before installing console. Sounded good so posted video on Boobtube for a sound bite of Comp 270S mech flat tappet in the 273. Hey it sounds good lol.

I'm all over the place with projects lol, whether its dash and harness, which means windshield removal(oh frickin boy) and SS trim upgrade from 67 nonsense. Removed rear pass side cargo light clip harness, and fuel sender harness. I got a new cover from @Heywodja thanks!:thumbsup: harness were intact but VERY brittle. As was the bulb holder clip. Had to gorilla glue it in a few spots. Also got led replacements for the bulbs. Discovered the sender wire was pinched as flat as pi$$ on a plate at fuel line clamp on frame rail.
Surprised the fuel gauge still worked!
Gotta address the backup lights, I received another switch from Casey @George Jets :thumbsup:, so hope to remedy that shortly. Also mocking up the 273 adjustable rockers on the xheads. I need to do the DIY banana grooves on the shafts as these only have 1 lube hole(8 oclock position) Once I'm done the DIY porting on the heads, then new springs, locks, retainers to buy for my engine build(on the never ending shopping list)
Thanks all for help/advice.
**edit** if you look close at rocker shaft you can see I knocked the end plugs out for cleaning. Thanks to Roy @SGBARRACUDA for posting Dorman # 555-011, RIP Roy.
Also you can see half moon shape approx 8 oclock(as opposed to the notch that I believe is more common and oriented directly downwards)

20220314_143702.jpg

20220314_140526.jpg

20220317_225649.jpg

20220317_225636.jpg

20220317_225729.jpg

20220317_235311.jpg

Last edited:
The way I seem to work, things domino quickly lol. Rear harness is 99% done.
Man it's a "decent" sized harness. It started with deciding to replace wires for courtesy lights then evolved into the entire rear harness. Only thing left is to replace 3 bullet ends for license plate light and reverse lights. AND LOTS of wrapping. Replaced the one plastic clip for festoon bulb. Bought those from M&H. Bought spares too(4) $10 each and $30 shipping! Almost $100 Cdn....
Also Summit order came in today for engine build, so hard to stay focused! With the interior i had to remove to get to harness I'm going to do cat whiskers and chk/lube rear regulator too. Off for 2 weeks, so hopefully knock a few of these dominoes down.:eek:

20220429_154548.jpg

20220429_110427.jpg

20220429_111202.jpg

20220429_105857.jpg

20220429_155128.jpg

20220429_154548.jpg

20220429_110427.jpg

20220429_105857.jpg

20220429_155128.jpg

Last edited:
Onto replacing the window fuzzy. The current one on the car was actually in good shape but the material had let go from the frame. Replacing them with Topcat. Not impressed...so far anyway. You can see in 4th and 5th pic the gap between the frame and the chrome/stainless end, right where it makes 90* bend.:BangHead:
Also mounting clips dont appear to align properly with slots in panel. All do except very top one......or if I try to install top clip 1st, then by the time i get to 3rd clip it's not mountable. Damn....I'm thinking I'll file the top slot on the panel but that sure wont fix the gap at opposite end 90* bend....so much for fitment......:wtf:
I figured I'd better leave it till tomorrow or I could wind up breaking something lol

20220429_225820.jpg

20220429_223446.jpg

20220429_224344.jpg

20220429_224353.jpg

20220429_224402.jpg

20220429_225351.jpg

20220429_225522.jpg

20220429_225454.jpg

Onto replacing the window fuzzy. The current one on the car was actually in good shape but the material had let go from the frame. Replacing them with Topcat. Not impressed...so far anyway. You can see in 4th and 5th pic the gap between the frame and the chrome/stainless end, right where it makes 90* bend.:BangHead:
Also mounting clips dont appear to align properly with slots in panel. All do except very top one......or if I try to install top clip 1st, then by the time i get to 3rd clip it's not mountable. Damn....I'm thinking I'll file the top slot on the panel but that sure wont fix the gap at opposite end 90* bend....so much for fitment......:wtf:
I figured I'd better leave it till tomorrow or I could wind up breaking something lol

View attachment 1715920100

View attachment 1715920101

View attachment 1715920102

View attachment 1715920103

View attachment 1715920104

View attachment 1715920105

View attachment 1715920106

View attachment 1715920107
Hey Steve
I used those exact whiskers on my 68.
I seam to remember not being completely happy with mine.
Keep up the good work

Well I put a couple tiny tacks with mig in the top 2 mount slots it helped "enough"! Time to move onto something else to break lol. Hope the inside whisker cooperates a little better lol.

20220508_234426.jpg

20220508_234510.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back