Dart Convertible Stance Pics

-

67CudaBob

Reaction score
I am ordering new rear leaf springs for my 67 Dart Ragtop.

I searched a lot of threads, but could not find much for convertible stance pictures and discussion.

I like a convertible that has a slight rake to the stance, but not muscle car hardtop aggressive (if that makes any sense). The car (at least for the next 3-4 years) will be for casual cruising only - nothing aggressive.

I am being offered either stock 5 spring, stock 6 spring, or either one of those in a +1 configuration or a +2 configuration, or 6 spring plus 2-1/2 configuration.

If anyone can share a picture of their ragtop and which rear springs you are using - that would be helpful in making my decision.

Thank you all.

Check PA Dodger photo gallery. His 69 has a nice near stock stance. I dropped the springs on a GTS and used a sledge hammer and press to rearc them. It seems that the sledge helped the metals memory because that was over 15 yrs ago and the car still sits nice. No leafs added.

I'm curious... Would raising up the rear put more wind in the back seat when the top is down ?

Wind in the back seat is directly proportional to the height of the occupant and the aggressiveness of the driver with the main variable being what the occupant had to eat the day before.

Seriously, unless you have the side windows up- the rear passengers will be buffeted unless they are laying down. It's amazing how much more buffeting there is in a bucket seat car.

looking for better pics but this 68 has 1" BARS UPFRONT. the guys who installed them i think has them set a hair high for my taste.

the rear springs are espo 6 leaf +1".

DSC_0096.JPG

looking for better pics but this 68 has 1" BARS UPFRONT. the guys who installed them i think has them set a hair high for my taste.

the rear springs are espo 6 leaf +1".

DSC_0096.JPG

I am with you - the front is a little high for my taste. That 6 leaf +1 doesn't look that aggressive at all, but it's hard to tell with the front lifted so much.

I could not get through on the phone to ESPO today, as I am curious where the 5" +1 sit compared to a stock 6" - anyone here know?

as I am curious where the 5" +1 sit compared to a stock 6" - anyone here know?

they should sit the same. 1" over stock is 1" over stock. 6 leaf is just the performance spring.

here i know its not a rag top but jamies old dart had .920 bars and espo 6 leaf +1" springs too..

DSC_0014-1.jpg

Jamiemagazinepic.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

they should sit the same. 1" over stock is 1" over stock. 6 leaf is just the performance spring.

My typo last night - sorry. I meant to ask where does a 5 LEAF +1" sit compared to a stock 6 LEAF - and if they are similar in stance, what would I notice about the ride quality between a modified 5 leaf and a stock 6 leaf?

My typo last night - sorry. I meant to ask where does a 5 LEAF +1" sit compared to a stock 6 LEAF - and if they are similar in stance, what would I notice about the ride quality between a modified 5 leaf and a stock 6 leaf?

height wise the stock 6 leaf (as long as its new) should ride 1" lower than a 5 leaf +1" spring after some mileage to settle them out.

as far as ride comparison i can't answer that. i can say from personal experience that both that convertible dart and the green 69 dart i pictured road very nice with the 6 leaf +1" springs. they both had cheap kyb shocks on them too. they were firm but no where near harsh. a real quality ride in my opinion. i bet it would have been even better with something like a bilstein shock on it..

The original stance for the 67-69 Darts was to have the rear wheel lip just clearing the top of the rim and the front torsion bars set so the fender lip was 2 fingers clearance above the tires.
At the dealership I worked at there were the old school guys who cranked the torsion bars up for a tail dragger look and the 1/4 mile guys who raised both the front and back. The Dart was used by alot of salesmen back then and with its big trunk full of samples we had regular requests for rearced and helper springs. We would add leafs until we could see the tire above the rim and then adjust the tbs before it went for alignment.
After all these years, for a factory look, I prefer a level body line but my second choice would be the green darts attitude above .

-
Back