Decision To Own A Handgun

-
My lady likes to shoot a little bit too..

My wife has been practicing Kokondo for the last 35 years, close range disarming is her specialty.
Her carry weapon is a S+W model 19 if needed.

The reason this subject caught my eye was because my wife and I are thinking of moving more rural. I would like my wife to have a gun and know how to use it well. And for god sakes the very first thing is to be safe! My wife is a proud army veteran of the late 70s. I would hope mostly protection for wild animals and such while walking the dogs in the woods and things like that. And hopefully never humans. And to be perfectly clear I have never owned a gun I've never wanted to. Have shot plenty of guns with my uncle's and friends they all have them. Everything from I don't know ar- 15's to 9mm's. I personally for myself think it's a terrible waste of money as in my 50 years I've been lucky enough to have lived in a way where I never thought to myself "man I could use a gun right now!" Well I guess I'm in the mindset of its like the 4th of July and I'm watching my money blow up yikes! Definitely I need to say here that I am 100% 100 and 10% for everybody having their guns the rights to have them the kind they want all of that I am 100% for sure that it is the people that use them not the guns. Enjoy your guns have your guns just don't shoot me please! :thankyou:

And PS thank you for protecting my rights to have a gun. And those of you who had to use them to keep this country safe so I don't have to have one.
And an FYI if I had to use one I would, - 110% positive of that! not scared of them, have respect for them.

I look at owning a weapon and serving 21 years in the military the same. I'm the last person who wants to have to use a weapon on another person. But I'm ready to if I must protect myself, my family, or my country.

The reason this subject caught my eye was because my wife and I are thinking of moving more rural. I would like my wife to have a gun and know how to use it well. And for god sakes the very first thing is to be safe! My wife is a proud army veteran of the late 70s. I would hope mostly protection for wild animals and such while walking the dogs in the woods and things like that. And hopefully never humans. And to be perfectly clear I have never owned a gun I've never wanted to. Have shot plenty of guns with my uncle's and friends they all have them. Everything from I don't know ar- 15's to 9mm's. I personally for myself think it's a terrible waste of money as in my 50 years I've been lucky enough to have lived in a way where I never thought to myself "man I could use a gun right now!" Well I guess I'm in the mindset of its like the 4th of July and I'm watching my money blow up yikes! Definitely I need to say here that I am 100% 100 and 10% for everybody having their guns the rights to have them the kind they want all of that I am 100% for sure that it is the people that use them not the guns. Enjoy your guns have your guns just don't shoot me please! :thankyou:
Think of it this way: it's better to have one and not need it than need one and not have it. I shot three rabid animals in my NJ yard. Thank God that I had a gun because the police here don’t respond to calls like that. But it's a personal choice and if you chose to not avail yourself, then that is perfectly fine too.

Think of it this way: it's better to have one and not need it than need one and not have it. I shot three rabid animals in my NJ yard. Thank God that I had a gun because the police here don’t respond to calls like that. But it's a personal choice and if you chose to not avail yourself, then that is perfectly fine too.
Don't know what policies/protocols are used over there, but PA animal control/canine officers from neighboring counties partner up to cruise rural and problem areas with
Rabies Vaccine "bait treats", one drives the other tosses the treats out along the route. They are fish scented/flavored squares with a pouch in the middle containing the
oral vaccine, it has dramatically reduced the numbers of rabies incidents in the regions used. Sounds like You could use a few!!!!!:eek:

Our students begin in a classroom environment (no real guns or ammo allowed) for 2 hours using high end airsoft ($150 a pop for a good airsoft gun).

Once they demonstrate safety and proficiency in the classroom, we move to the live fire range.

IF THEY CHOOSE to shoot a real gun (no pressure or demands really helps them relax), we begin with a S&W model 17-3 revolver, 4" in 22LR. That's the first real gun most people shoot. I've added an extra large Pachmyr rubber grip so they get a confident grip on it and had a trigger job done on it. Due to light hammers and rimfire, most rimfire revolver actions are atrocious.

Next is a Ruger SR22, semiauto in .22LR so they can learn to operate a semi using the slide lock/release and an external safety. Everyone loves the way it feels in their hands and how it shoots.

Next is a step up to centerfire using a 4" S&W Model 19 with a big, rubber Hogue grip. Even though the ammo is low powered target loads, it's a big step up for most people from a .22LR. I've had the action smoothed, and it's a dreamboat to shoot.

Fourth, is a S&W Model 642 lightweight .38 snubnose from the Performance Center (cheaper than a custom trigger job locally). Also added a big Pachmyr rubber grip because it is, indeed, snappy. This is the gun I recommend for most of my "first time self defense gun" owners. A snub is not difficult to master at close ranges if it has a good trigger action. With a stiff trigger - not so much.

Fifth is a discontinued Taurus 809 semiauto in 9mm. It's a full size frame with ambidextrous controls for my lefty shooters. Trigger isn't smooth like a Glock, but for less than $300 NIB, it's a great training gun.

Finally, as a graduation treat they get to shoot my custom 1978 Colt's Combat Commander in 9mm. I've spent a ton on it over the years, and it's the sweetest of the sweet. Everyone wants one until they find out how much it would cost to duplicate it. 1911's are intuitive and timeless designs.

Here's a pic of the training guns (the M&P on the end has been replaced with the cheap, full-size Taurus 809. Guess what I used the extra money from the M&P on? Yep, the Lancer. :eek: )

training guns5.jpg

Her daddy wanted me to give her an orientation lesson with a snappy, little Ruger LC9. Accuracy isn't our primary focus, but if they learn the fundamentals, they end up shooting accurately. If you look closely you can see her last few shots grouped in the center of that pie plate at about 12-15 feet with a micro 9mm. :)

train evee2.jpg

Last edited:
I have a Walther P22 that is great for teaching as well, but c’mon, no glocks??!!

Top 3 rules if you choose to own a hand gun are practice, practice, practice.

The tool has no value and can even be dangerous to use if you don't make yourself expert in its operation. You also have to maintain your expertise in using it in order to be able to effectively operate it at times of extreme stress when your instincts take over.

When you need it, only your training will make it effective...because everything else will be gone.

Funny you say that. My brother is the Manufacturing Support Manager at FN America and I don't own one FN gun. $$$$

The tool has no value and can even be dangerous to use if you don't make yourself expert in its operation. You also have to maintain your expertise in using it in order to be able to effectively operate it at times of extreme stress when your instincts take over.

When you need it, only your training will make it effective...because everything else will be gone.

SO true. I even tell my women students, "It won't matter if you are a momma lion if someone threatens your children. Under high stress you will only perform to SOME measure of how you've trained.

Real estate agent came straight from the office (wasn't supposed to wear open toe shoes) and is shooting my very snappy Kahr CM9 micro in 9mm. Good stance, good hold, good aim = good fun. :)

train karisa6.jpg

I can tell you an interesting story from 20 years ago. It was about 4 am and I woke to what I thought was a sound from downstairs. I reached over and verified my wife was still in bed and grabbed my Taurus PT 99 and moved outside the bedroom to the stairs.

Working my way down, I saw what appeared to be someone moving stealthily around the living room in the dark. I moved to a better position and flipped on the laser sight aimed at their head.

The laser hit the target and suddenly it looked like a laser sight was being pointed at me. I dropped to a one knee position and prepared to fire...but I didn't.

Turns out the intruder was a silver Mylar helium ballon left over from my wife's birthday and had deflated enough that it was now moving around the room about 6' off the ground from the HVAC air blowing. When my laser hit it, it reflected it back at me.

If it wasn't for my training and practice, I might have shot the sh*t out of the balloon and the other side of the room.

Point is that the training kept me under control. Sometimes, not shooting under stress is as equally important as doing it.

Very true.. the last time wife loaded her little 380's clip, she put the bullets in backwards.....

Just for grins: A farming friend of mine says of a 380.... "Better have a knife with you 'cuz all you're gonna do is make it mad".

Very true.. the last time wife loaded her little 380's clip, she put the bullets in backwards.....

Just for grins: A farming friend of mine says of a 380.... "Better have a knife with you 'cuz all you're gonna do is make it mad".

my instructor told us, if we are planning on carrying a .22 for self defense make sure you file the front sight down smooth, that way it hurts less when they shove it up your bum

If you move out of the city, you will start to ask yourself things.

Why didn't I do it sooner?
Why didn't I buy more property?
Why do I have to go back to the city?
Why do I still lock my doors?
Why do I like my neighbors more when they are further from me?
Why don't I have more dogs?

my instructor told us, if we are planning on carrying a .22 for self defense make sure you file the front sight down smooth, that way it hurts less when they shove it up your bum

Six accurate hits with a .22 are better than 18 misses with a 9mm. IJS ;)

Lots of dead people that will argue the effectiveness of .22 and .380 all day.

J par is officially on the "do not shoot list!"
UNLESS HE COMES THRU THE DOOR AT NIGHT ! LO0L I have close to home family reasons for carrying !
Lots of dead people that will argue the effectiveness of .22 and .380 all day.

It`s been quite a few yrs. ago, but a young black man walked into a chicken fast food place in Tulsa, that he had been fired from. He emptied two .380 clips on employees and customers, didn`t kill anyone ! A 38 is the the smallest I will carry.

Six accurate hits with a .22 are better than 18 misses with a 9mm. IJS ;)

i used to work with this guy who had turned all his cash into ammo
he had literally hundreds of thousands of rounds of .22 and he was always talking about then end of the world, and the apocalypse and Armageddon and all sorts of other biblical terms pulled out of context and misinterpreted

i finally asked him...what good is a .22 gonna do you in the apocalypse?

his answer?

headshots

It's time for you to find a new instructor. Accuracy and poise is the key in weapon use. One round one down.

Had what I'd call a win/win/win yesterday.

The news director/manager at a local TV station (they've asked me to appear numerous times to discuss firearm SAFETY) contacted me about conducting a safety training class for his daughter who'd never touched a handgun in her life. He also has never owned or touched a gun.

That's a win right there.

His daughter totally aced the class, shot every gun available, had fun and is eager to shoot again.

That's another win.

Icing on the cake is she's enrolled in a local college with the intention of becoming a LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER.

(here she's shooting the full frame Taurus 809 - the cheap but effective training 9mm)

train katie1.jpg

-
Back