Decision To Own A Handgun

-
I bought the wife an SR 22 (she picked it out). She's a decent shot but I told her, if you're threatened enough to use it, empty the magazine. Then they can't shoot you with it and even if you don't hit them once, you're making enough noise to bring someone running and probably send someone running. She's actually a decent shot. She just told me the other day she wants to shoot some more!
I just finished an 80% 1911 and she's asked about shooting it.

I wish they offered the SR 22 in a .22 mag.

I bought the wife an SR 22 (she picked it out). She's a decent shot but I told her, if you're threatened enough to use it, empty the magazine. Then they can't shoot you with it and even if you don't hit them once, you're making enough noise to bring someone running and probably send someone running. She's actually a decent shot. She just told me the other day she wants to shoot some more!
I just finished an 80% 1911 and she's asked about shooting it.

I wish they offered the SR 22 in a .22 mag.
As I posted earlier, my wife has a 38 and only been shooting a couple of times, but turned out to very good w/ it, I was really surprised . Hope she never needs it !

Sad to say, most women turn out to be better shots than men, if they can get past some cromagnon mouth breather teaching them bad habits. They have a lot more fear, harassment and intimidation that most men aren't aware of.

Sad to say, most women turn out to be better shots than men, if they can get past some cromagnon mouth breather teaching them bad habits. They have a lot more fear, harassment and intimidation that most men aren't aware of.

Lot of truth to that.

Our experience has shown that women become good shooters because of a couple of reasons:

They don't already have bad habits.
They don't feel like the already know how to shoot.
They don't feel like the SHOULD already know how to shoot.

They learn the fundamentals well, and with strong fundamentals everything else is way back in second place. :)

They know Lethal Weapon is just a movie and not reality, where you cant roll over while firing and putting all your shots on target!

Feeling like a new daddy...six more first-time shooters becoming SAFE and competent. Two moms even wanted their young sons to learn safety.

train 10.8.17.jpg

I qualified with a M1911 in the Marines and that was a kick to fire, thin grip, heavy and the barrel bushing was so loose you could rattle the barrel when you shook it. After 3 years, they finally went to the Baretta
Must of been in at about the same time, Parris island then Pendleton. Safety first. When I am going to go shooting with someone, first thing I do is toss them a cordless drill. If there finger goes to the trigger, i know no matter how much they say they have shot, I do not trust them. Every professional trained person's finger will be up to the side of the trigger.

Don't know how this applies but it is the strangest story I personally was privy to. The part-time pastor (married and in his 80's) of a local church and I used to go out to breakfast once in a while. He would flirt with the waitress and we would exchange "war stories" that revealed something of our mutual younger days. He formerly was a bar owner, maybe the reason he had a concealed weapons permit (California). Well, I really don't know why he had the permit.

One evening he and his spouse were at a local hot spot and it was determined that he better not drive home (a little too much to drink). When he arrived home, his spouse stayed indoors while he went outside to sit in a porch swing. He had taken with him the box he kept the firearm in. A shot rang out, and he was dead. I hope it was accidental, the spouse said he shot himself, but that could mean a couple of things. Sad, sad, story. He was a lot of fun and a great preacher on Sunday's. Bless him and his widow.

Every professional trained person's finger will be up to the side of the trigger.
that was the first thing i noticed in that picture, every one with a certificate has their finger OFF of the trigger
(except maybe for the creepy bald guy in the back, i cant see his hands)

that was the first thing i noticed in that picture, every one with a certificate has their finger OFF of the trigger
(except maybe for the creepy bald guy in the back, i cant see his hands)
Yes, if taken seriously will lead to muscle memory, will do it even with a cordless drill........

I know what you old farts want to see.

Open toe shoes are forbidden in my classes, but this real estate agent came straight from work, so I made an exception. ;)

Snappy 9 is snappy.

train karisa6.jpg

Keep doing what you're doing and bettering the image of us responsible gun owners!

As an owner of multiple firearms and a CCW license, one thing you can never do is get "comfortable" with your firearm. Comfort often brings complacency, which there is zero room for when handling a firearm.

Thanks for doing what you do!!

Keep doing what you're doing and bettering the image of us responsible gun owners!

As an owner of multiple firearms and a CCW license, one thing you can never do is get "comfortable" with your firearm. Comfort often brings complacency, which there is zero room for when handling a firearm.

Thanks for doing what you do!!

Thanks, it's what I do along with working with local LEO and Crime Stoppers to remind firearm owners to keep their firearms SECURED. This year, firearm thefts are averaging one a day in our area, most from vehicles locked and unlocked.

This $20 box will prevent most auto smash and grabs. Novel concept huh?. (rolls eyes)

gun safe3.jpg

I like the Colt Single Action Army in 38-40, no cartridge under the pin. My wife has been bird hunting with me for 20 years, running won't even save them.

i used to work with this guy who had turned all his cash into ammo
he had literally hundreds of thousands of rounds of .22 and he was always talking about then end of the world, and the apocalypse and Armageddon and all sorts of other biblical terms pulled out of context and misinterpreted

i finally asked him...what good is a .22 gonna do you in the apocalypse?

his answer?

headshots

When I was about 8 years old, I killed my first animal.
We were slaughtering the yearly cattle for food.
I got to shoot the cow directly between the eyes.
My grandpa said don't miss or things will get bad fast.
When I pulled the trigger, with a little .22 I remember the brown and white cow, all four knees buckling at the same time as it hit the ground.

So yes a head shot is very effective.

I like the Colt Single Action Army in 38-40, no cartridge under the pin. My wife has been bird hunting with me for 20 years, running won't even save them.
I have the mate to that gun, a Winchester model 92 lever action 38-40. have been looking for the revolver to match it for years.

Lot of truth to that.

Our experience has shown that women become good shooters because of a couple of reasons:

They don't already have bad habits.
They don't feel like the already know how to shoot.
They don't feel like the SHOULD already know how to shoot.

They learn the fundamentals well, and with strong fundamentals everything else is way back in second place. :)

Funny I teach welding and the same as above applies to the women I teach. For the most part they all become great welders, especially in GTAW (TIG)
Kevin

Funny I teach welding and the same as above applies to the women I teach. For the most part they all become great welders, especially in GTAW (TIG)
Kevin

I find the people who TIG the best (as far as looks go) almost always have the best handwriting. And women almost always have better handwriting than men.

I have the mate to that gun, a Winchester model 92 lever action 38-40. have been looking for the revolver to match it for years.

I sent mine out, originally a 45 Long Colt, and had a 5 1/2 barrel and 38-40 cylinder made. It's funny, when you get what you want you are done. It is sighted in perfectly at 25 yards. I also have the matching Winchester saddle ring carbine. I remember ordering a new 38-40 in a 7 1/2 in barrel and getting it, but sold it. There should be some out there.

There's a lot of good advice here. One thing not pointed out yet, is the fit of the handgun to the hand. I tend to be the gun guy that folks (mostly women) come to for a discussion on firearms. IMHO, one of the most important factors for finding the right gun is finding the one that fits you well, doesn't have too much recoil, and that you can shoot well. It's a Goldilocks thing. Not to big, not too small, but just right.

I have very small hands, as do most women. I sold off all of my too-large handguns to replace them with ones that fit me well. Several of the knowledge-seekers have fallen in love with one of my handguns and after taking to the range to shoot with a variety of arms, they marched down to buy their own.

-
Back