Diabetes testing

-

crackedback

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm attempting to help a family member get set up with some testing equipment for diabetes.

I noticed the strips vary greatly in price. Most of the meters appear to be in the same price range.

My main question related to cost and my assumption, I should look primarily at cost for consumable if not covered by insurance.

Appreciate any input, other than feed her a constant volume of chocolate bars and pepsi! :)

Liberty Medical can help with testing supplies with a Dr. script. If he has medicare it will cover the cost.

meters are normally given by doctor, but are only 20.00 other wise. it is the strips that can cost ya! I use a freestyle lite. the strips out of pocket w/o script are 75.00 for 50 very expensive. if you have ins with a script most if not all should be covered by ins.

She will need to test more in the beginning to find her lows and peaks. Make/keep a chart with times tested and food eaten. This might seem like a big task but a lot of it is to find what foods spike her levels. (I am worse in the morning when I wake)

After she knows this stuff testing becomes less, IF she follows the rules. Much of my food intake is the same as always with some slight variance.

where is she as far as numbers? The biggest thing to control is well diet and exercise. just a loss of 10 lbs can dramatically reduce the numbers. Did they put her on meds? Metformin glimepiride etc

I'm attempting to help a family member get set up with some testing equipment for diabetes.

I noticed the strips vary greatly in price. Most of the meters appear to be in the same price range.

My main question related to cost and my assumption, I should look primarily at cost for consumable if not covered by insurance.

Appreciate any input, other than feed her a constant volume of chocolate bars and pepsi! :)

meters are normally given by doctor, but are only 20.00 other wise. it is the strips that can cost ya! I use a freestyle lite. the strips out of pocket w/o script are 75.00 for 50 very expensive. if you have ins with a script most if not all should be cover by ins.

She will need to test more in the beginning to find her lows and peaks. Make/keep a chart with times tested and food eaten. This might seem like a big task but a lot of it is to find what foods spike her levels. (I am worse in the morning when I wake)

After she knows this stuff testing becomes less, IF she follows the rules. Much of my food intake is the same as always with some slight variance.

where is she as far as numbers? The biggest thing to control is well diet and exercise. just a loss of 10 lbs can dramatically reduce the numbers. Did they put her on meds? Metformin glimpiride etc

Rocky, try a light snack before bed. A few crackers or something like that. Sometimes in the middle of the night your system may just be getting all hungry or what not and it will increase your levels in the morning. It's what my stupid pancreas does. Just a thought.

Rob, does she have insurance? I have Kaiser, so I have a co pay, but no real idea of actual cost. I know there are a few here with diabetes who should be able to give a good answer.

I got the monitor free from the Diabetes Clinic at the hospital and most of them are free when you buy the test strips. Strips are frickin pricy, but I guess the "lucky" part of diabetes is dad having it and he gets his strips free, so he gives me a couple boxes at a time. Im up n down...now on a new form of Metformin called Glumetza, 3 of these at once in the morning. They are a time release. Im a reformed junkfood junkie...and cookie monster....its frickin tough! I lost about 20 lbs within 3 months of being diagnosed...put about 15 of that back on...
Good luck CB...

metformin will help take weight off at first then you get used to them, I guess, and it can come right back.

As a diabetic, I second Liberty Medical... however you have to do a Wilford Brimley impersonation and say diabeetis

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TaFXjIIU1k"]Diabeto - Family Guy - YouTube[/ame]

I am still a big fan of mint chocolate chip ice cream. And I do not think it is good for you in anyway, but that's ok I have my one scoop and savor every small bite - it is my cheat! lol

Im thinking the switch from MF to Glumetza had something to do with my weight gain.....not the cookies....

I am still a big fan of mint chocolate chip ice cream. And I do not think it is good for you in anyway, but that's ok I have my one scoop and savor every small bite - it is my cheat! lol

Mine cheat was Hostess Cupcakes. They're extra chocolaty. Who the hell knew Hostess would be my conscience for me?

I feel for ya,My Cindy has to test 10 times a day those strips are way to much money,but if you want to live you have to pay.what I don't like is sometimes the strips don't work.She is on the insulin pump now and does help a lot.Good luck its a tough life.

As said,strips are pricy.We use liberty for the wife and myself.
We both use Lantis.Victosa and Novalog.I get three shots three times a day and she twice.Definitely try and get a script as it realy helps.

As said,strips are pricy.We use liberty for the wife and myself.
We both use Lantis.Victosa and Novalog.I get three shots three times a day and she twice.Definitely try and get a script as it realy helps.

Agreed a script really helps with Medicare if you have part D there is only a small co pay with the meds for diabetes and a lot of times going through Liberty Medical it's the same a 3.00 copay for testing supplies.

I take Lantus twice a day,Humalog 3 times a day, Metformin 2 times a day. Then I have other meds for cholesterol,high blood pressure and now I am having trouble with my heart. All related to Diabetes.

Agreed a script really helps with Medicare if you have part D there is only a small co pay with the meds for diabetes and a lot of times going through Liberty Medical it's the same a 3.00 copay for testing supplies.

I take Lantus twice a day,Humalog 3 times a day, Metformin 2 times a day. Then I have other meds for cholesterol,high blood pressure and now I am having trouble with my heart. All related to Diabetes.

I hear ya. It hit my eyes pretty hard.

-
Back