Dipstick won't go back in

-

Alan H.

Reaction score
Problem SOLVED: see post 53.

I recently picked up a '70 Duster 340. I removed the dipstick to check oil level before taking it out for a drive. It came out smoothly, normally.
I cannot get it back in no matter how I try. It is in the correct orientation but seems to stop a the end of the dipstick tube before going into the block. The tube is not loose at all.
Now here is the strange part... I can insert a plastic rod (a bit smaller than tube opening) and it goes in all the way. I would think a thin dipstick would be easier to insert than this, but it's not.
I've read a lot of this same problem in my Google search, so I'm not alone, although those were all different models and brands.
Has anyone else encountered this same problem, and if so, what was the fix?
Thank you.

Last edited:
stock type dipstick...or $3 china dipstick?lol

Dipstick

Have you tried to rotate the dipstick a little as you put it in the tube???

(I know - that's what she said....)

boy - this has the makings of an interesting thread..
- - - so sometimes you have use a little twisting motion with a little extra umph behind it.. also, check the tip of the stick for burrs..

boy - this has the makings of an interesting thread..
- - - so sometimes you have use a little twisting motion with a little extra umph behind it.. also, check the tip of the stick for burrs..
I tried every way but it gets hung up as it reaches the block, while the plastic rod I mentioned slides in without a problem.
No burrs, either human or otherwise.

Cars can be such pains in the asses sometimes. Have you tried rotating it in increments of like...45 degrees? Seeing if any keys fit the slot. Maybe bend the tip slightly with some pliers?

Cars can be such pains in the asses sometimes. Have you tried rotating it in increments of like...45 degrees? Seeing if any keys fit the slot. Maybe bend the tip slightly with some pliers?
It can only be rotated 180 degrees, but it is really meant to go in only one way. If rotated 45 or even 90 degrees, it doesn't go in at all.
Bend tip? I don't thinking bending is the answer, but besides that, I was able to remove it smoothly the first time without any hanging up.

possessed old Mopar.. some kinda funkatated for sure - at this point I would be calling PO and asking about it

Add beer to the equation.
What was the level on the stick when you pulled it?
Can you SEE the tube all the way into the block?

Almost all dip tubes have a ridge right at the end on the inside of them from the cutting process.
Just bend the tip a little.

It sounds to me like when the tube was installed that the part that inserts into the block got crushed on the end. Remember that the portion the goes into the block is smaller in diameter than the tube itself. Just my thought on the problem.

do stock type 340 pans have baffles? how far in are you able to get it? I have found on more than one occasion that the lead edge of the dipstick can catch on the edges of a baffle.
Rotate the engine
Steve, you thinking the dipstick is hitting the crank?

Al, at the risk of getting burned to crisp by every smartass FABO member - can you show us the dipstick and the pan?

Al, at the risk of getting burned to crisp by every smartass FABO member - can you show us the dipstick and the pan?

Since it would be so easy I'll let it go. :D

Just pull the dang tube, kick it's *** and put it back in.
Show it who's boss.

-
Back