Javelin

-

DusterDaddy

sledgehammer mechanic
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My son Aaron has been working along with me on my Duster project Father-Son 1974 Duster Project
since he was 14. He's 20 now! It's still not done but as you all know, they are never really "finished"
21751691_10207998240113757_5921247337139111599_n.jpg

21762151_10207998219473241_3902729627635933437_n.jpg

He has hauled a few basket cases home since then wanting to make something out of nothing as we did with our Duster, but has traded most of them for other things. Here is what all that wheeling and dealing has gotten him.
IMG-7739.JPG

I have agreed to him keeping it at the house as long as he keeps it covered and does not make a holy mess out of the spot behind the garage I'm letting him park it.
It's a 73 Javelin that had an AMC 360/904 in it as built, but now has the AMC 304 in it.
It is complete but the quarters are bad and the rest of the body needs a lot of attention.

It's not a Mopar, but it does have some Chrysler sourced Parts.

Looks like I'll be pitching in when he needs a hand...

Love it DD! Always had a soft spot in my heart for them old AMC Javelins and AMX's!

Be well,
Pat

P.S. Crazy how the years fly by on these projects. My daughters were 11 when we started their Duster....now they're 16 and want to drive it!

Love it DD! Always had a soft spot in my heart for them old AMC Javelins and AMX's!

Be well,
Pat

P.S. Crazy how the years fly by on these projects. My daughters were 11 when we started their Duster....now they're 16 and want to drive it!

How could a Plymouth or Dodge guy hate a Jav? Right?

There's more of that AMC in every Chrysler-built Mopar since the mid 1980's than most people would like to admit.
Beautiful car. I knew of one around here that had been parked for years. Then it disappeared. Probably off to the crusher.

oooohhhhh you think mopars are hard to get parts for ????????????!!!!!!!!!!

You will not lose that in a parking lot//I was looking at a basket case 69 amx with no motor or trans passed it up//would like a 70 Donahue Javlin with a stroked 401 Zzzzzzzzz oh I just woke up:lol:

I am happy he likes to do things like this. It is his nature to observe and participate sparingly, but he seems to be committed to this Javelin.
I have already accepted that I will be the guide on his journey to getting this car put back together. I'm happy the kid still wants to be around his old man!
I checked with the forum admins and it's cool with them if we post up what's happening with the car here on FABO.

I'm a fan of the 68-70 AMX, had a 70 in 73, sold it in 75 and saw it again at Cruzin the Coast in 2010. There's a 69 locally I've tried to buy but the guy watches too much Barrett Jackson, can't get him off 6500. Wouldn't be bad if the garage hadn't fallen in on it, if the guy didn't start taking the motor apart "to look at it", if it hadn't been sitting in the weeds for three plus years with the windows down..i offers him 3000. and he wouldn't move. Hope you and the son have some fun with the Jav. A few years back a friend of mine had 4 of your vintage trying to make one good one. In our climate the front shock towers always seem to go.

If they only knew........those are cool cars. IMO , never the muscle cars our Mopars were.....but cool never-the-less. If the Back to the Future movie would have been made a little earlier, I bet they wold have used a Javein in stead of the Deloreon.

If they only knew........those are cool cars. IMO , never the muscle cars our Mopars were.....but cool never-the-less. If the Back to the Future movie would have been made a little earlier, I bet they wold have used a Javein in stead of the Deloreon.
didn't an AMC product win the Trans Am series back in the day!!! Donahue??? I bet the AMC stuff deserves more praise than we give them??

didn't an AMC product win the Trans Am series back in the day!!! Donahue??? I bet the AMC stuff deserves more praise than we give them??
That model was mentioned in post#6. My kid dragged this home because he thought it was cool and he likes hearing me cuss like a drunken sailor when I'm welding sheetmetal...

It's kinda a mess. The PO stuck all kinds of stuff on it to make it sorta look like an AMX.
Let's see where this takes us...
IMG-7724.JPG

Cool. He found something he can be passionate about. Those cars can be made really neat! Here's a friends.
100_4535.JPG
100_4536.JPG
100_4538.JPG
100_4564.JPG

There is an entire parts car Javelin for that thing here in Michigan, should I buy it?? It's $800 to me!! I'll get a few pics, maybe you need some things from it!!

There is an entire parts car Javelin for that thing here in Michigan, should I buy it?? It's $800 to me!! I'll get a few pics, maybe you need some things from it!!
Back in 1975 when I was 19 I hauled home a '70 Javelin SST, 390, 4 sp, 3:54 diff. It was a basket case but with only 29,000 original miles before the original owner decided to tear it apart. This was my "winter beater" the winter of 75/76 so I could keep my Duster 340 off the road and away from the salt. The Javelin was one of the cars I regretted selling. Really a fun car.

So my son is wanting to get an AMC 360 for this car and wants to sell the 304 that's in it now or swap it for a 360 block
He is considering swapping in a Mopar 318 for the time being. Now that sounds like a lot of busy work to me.
I am urging him to freshen up that 304 and go to war with that in this project.
He just keeps telling me the 304 isn't right for the car, it was born a 360 car......bla, bla, bla
Kids....
jav engine.jpg

Done a 304 to small block mopar in a jeep, nothing is the same, bolt pattern etc.
Find an old rusted wagoneer if you are lucky it might actually have a 401, most were 360.
Be warned, rebuilding AMC motors are really expensive, so be prepared to pay up, because the Jeep junkies like them alot.
And they are getting hard to find. Been looking for a 401 for the wifes cj for a few years now.

Done a 304 to small block mopar in a jeep, nothing is the same, bolt pattern etc.
Find an old rusted wagoneer if you are lucky it might actually have a 401, most were 360.
Be warned, rebuilding AMC motors are really expensive, so be prepared to pay up, because the Jeep junkies like them alot.
And they are getting hard to find. Been looking for a 401 for the wifes cj for a few years now.
I hear you Shawn. I just want him to freshen the 304 for now. He can always swap in a motor...

I hear you Shawn. I just want him to freshen the 304 for now. He can always swap in a motor...
Start spinning tales of AMC wins back in the Trans Am days with the 304 because of the 305 cube limit. Create a little love for that 304....

-
Back