DIY top hydraulic motor lines

-

vernk

Reaction score
Has anyone diy'd replacement lines for the A body vert top hydraulics? I know the kit is 100 bucks readily available, but the kit looks like something i could piece together from Home Depot? Might give it a go....any idea what threads the fittings are? And should i go plastic lines or brass? Either way it runs compression fittings.
thanks!
Vern

Personal opinion coming.:D
I think for 100 bucks it wouldn't be worth the time it would take to piece something together.

i hope you'll forgive me for trying to prove you wrong? sometimes i like a challenge, i also like diy. but more so....i like saving a few cents where i can

if i can piece it together successfully for 30 or less, that 70 can go to....a new 1/4 panel or diapers, or.....1/4 diapers :)

Has anyone diy'd replacement lines for the A body vert top hydraulics? I know the kit is 100 bucks readily available, but the kit looks like something i could piece together from Home Depot? Might give it a go....any idea what threads the fittings are? And should i go plastic lines or brass? Either way it runs compression fittings.
thanks!
Vern
I thought about it and decided against it. the fitting that goes into the lift cylinder and pump is a swivel fitting for alignment of the hoses to fit behind the panels/seat back and are a pain in the rear to find (27.00 per pair(pump,ram,ram= 81.00 Unless you are a company AND a special crimping tool #$@#$ then it goes to 17.00 per pair as the most expensive set on the pump) after I got prices for most of the parts I just went an ordered a set of lines. I know they wont leak or if they do they will replace them. Yeah I have temporarily used compression fitting to get the top up to work on it. Using them(compression fittings) they didn't allow me to line up the hoses without leaking. if you tighten them up they point in weird directions and interfere with the other hoses and panels.

or you could get a set from a fox body or larger Ford convertible and use those hoses with a little re-routing the pump works too!(check power cable ends for right connectors.mine came off a 95 fox body $25.00 and looked new in the salvage yard. hoses were $15.00 and were barely long enough with creative routing)

Last edited:
broke down, bought and just installed the line kit. works flawlessly now. yea, it was so much easier. thanks all for swaying me in the right direction :)

I have a couple of extra sets of lines from LeBaron convertibles and a complete setup (motor, lines, and rams) from a Sebring. Not much really changed. The LeBaron rams did not work, but I have heard that the Sebring would. I'll find out on my Barracuda when I get to that point.

-
Back