Do slant six swaps make you feel guilty?

-

Mopar92

Reaction score
I'm about to do my 2nd original low mile A body slant to smallblock swap. It makes me feel guilty every time. Poor little 70,000 mile slant was born and lived a great survivor life since 1970/1973 to get seperated. Just makes me feel sorta bad that I separate that bond. Dumb I know.

I'm about to do my 2nd original low mile A body slant to smallblock swap. It makes me feel guilty every time. Poor little 70,000 mile slant was born and lived a great survivor life since 1970/1973 to get seperated. Just makes me feel sorta bad that I separate that bond. Dumb I know.

I had a Doug Dutra built Super Slant 6 and drove it for many years. I woke up one day and decided to pull it out and sell it. I felt bad for about 6 seconds.

My 408 gets slightly better mileage now and puts out about 510 hp. That makes me feel better every time I drive it.

I do feel bette when I know they aren't going to get tossed into the scrap heap. I always find a good user.

Build a 2nd car to look like the slant car. Leave the slant in and go pick your street fights with it - show up at he line 30 min later with the twin car with the 8.... LOL

Do the swap - build what ya want!

All worried about the motor when you should think about how the rest of the car feels.
You think it likes getting a trophy for just showing up or what?:D

And don't get me wrong, the slant has a purpose. But I just like the V8 sound, even if it's not a performance car :)

Build a 2nd car to look like the slant car. Leave the slant in and go pick your street fights with it - show up at he line 30 min later with the twin car with the 8.... LOL

My dad knew a guy that did that back in the day, one built the other /6 just warmed up a bit. He said it was funny to see the other people face, and the guy that had both cars just said he changed the tune and under uncorked the header lol

bought a 80 D150 bout a year ago...perfect red express clone material,..had a knocking /6 in it,..500 bucks...stuck bearings and pump in it and cleaned crank up but was still knocking,..my buddys keep pointing to my running 86 318/904 setting in corner but i said no,..found a running /6 on craiglist for couple hundred bucks,..swapping pans discovered the knock was wrist pin coming outta a piston...318 going in a 73 duster im collecting parts for and im on fence bout my 75 duster its a /6 but i still got the 318 thats in the 73....i enjoy the drivability and gas millage of the /6 but like the high rpm small block to...guess im all twisted...dwb

I think I saved two cars
A headless six . 70 Dart Custom, now a 449 small block
008-1_zps21989f85.jpg

019-1_zps40087061.jpg

073_zpsunm9vyws.jpg

72 Dart > Six MIA, now a 540
track opens in 3 weeks, then wait for warm weather to paint

005_zps77796b7e.jpg

001-15_zpscd6cee61.jpg

001_zpsxxy707zh.jpg

004_zpsjjldnu95.jpg

004_zpsxf4a74cq.jpg

004_zpsukubndog.jpg

SAM_3841_zpstt3jj5hi.jpg

Last edited:
oh-my nice Dart!

Every time I do that swap,it's good riddance to the slowmobile. There's nothing a stock slanty can do that a stock teener can't do better. Mileage not excluded; Except maybe in city driving.....but there's just no fun factor in that misereable,midget of a mundane,motor.

Last edited:
Can't say I feel guilty for a slant six swap.

I have a car that was an original 318 car that came to me without an engine.

Swapped a slant six in and now it runs. Sure more fun now than pushing.....and it's staying that way with a Clifford header and 4 bbl. Intake :D

No guilt! years ago, I knew guys change an engine out overnight for a street race. Probably still happens.

Guilty? Lol. Hell no. I Rip that under powered turd out and out and throw a small block in it without ever thinking twice.

Figure if you don't do it the next guy will.

Nope; doesn't bother me one bit. It feels even better ripping a small block out to move in a big block. :thumbsup:

Can't say I feel guilty for a slant six swap.

I have a car that was an original 318 car that came to me without an engine.

Swapped a slant six in and now it runs. Sure more fun now than pushing....
And that's a home run because that car is now alive and worth something instead of scrap metal.

Only if you can tell I did it.

I would regret it if the car was a true low mile survivor that ran and drove perfectly as is.
Other than that, i would do what i want to the car, and don't look back.

-
Back