Does a HD rear spring/shackle hanger exist for a 68 Dart?

-

Jeremiah (jd)

Reaction score
Hello,

I am in the process of upgrdaing my 68 GTS to offset spring hangers, cal tracs and a j60-15 rear tire. Does anyone make a rear spring hanger that is more stout than the flimsy OEM part? I looked at the Mopar Performance replacements online and they dont look much better than stock.

Normally I use AFCO sliders however this job is a bolt in only deal.

If nothing exists I will do some welding on a stock set off of my parts car.

Thank you for any insight. Also adding a picture of the tire I want to use (28x11.50 MT ET Street bias) vs. the venerable M&H muscle car bias ply in j60-15.

17116426052297423380988111310718.jpg

17116426703596203393522379012053.jpg

Last edited:
Not a highly stressed part since the front hanger takes a majority of the force. I never tooled up anything for the rear hanger or the shackles. Doctor Diff has some heavy duty shackles but I've never seen anyone mess with the rear hangers.

Hi Andy,

The first business I checked for these shackle hangers was yours. I have used several sets of B body front hangers.

This car uses a Dr Diff 3/4" offset hanger kit spaced back 1/2" to fit the j60-15 M&H DOT bias ply tires or a 28x9 slick.

A 275/60/15 would have required trimming at my desired ride height. I promised myself not to turn this into a race car.

A set of OEM replacements from Classic Industries arrived today. The parts sent do not look half as nice as what was in the catalog. Substandard compared to the AR stuff. The positive aspect is that I have a set of clean cores to weld on.

I am tempted to used sliders. For now a biggrr tire and the Cal trac/monoleaf combination will improve things tremendously.

20240404_175640.jpg

20240404_175701.jpg

20240404_175529.jpg

20240404_175600.jpg

The ones from Mancini suck BTW. I got a set a few years back as I had to replace one the rubber was rotted out in, blasted it and no good. The photo in the Mancini ad looks quality, it was not…

I wonder if Espo "springs n things" has them? I got my HD leafs.and stock replacement shackles from them for the dart.

It would be an easy part for me to make but I'm trying to slow down that stuff. If I had a car I was working on then I'd probably sit down at the brake press and hammer out a few sets.

I'm helping a buddy hot rod his 63 1/2 Galaxie 500 so I've been building some custom stuff for him. We put a Calvert split mono leaf setup under that car. Not a bolt on for sure! Had to cut and weld on the frame and build custom parts. I enjoy building parts for one car at a time. Can't make any money doing it but banging out production parts gets old after 20 years!

It would be an easy part for me to make but I'm trying to slow down that stuff. If I had a car I was working on then I'd probably sit down at the brake press and hammer out a few sets.

I'm helping a buddy hot rod his 63 1/2 Galaxie 500 so I've been building some custom stuff for him. We put a Calvert split mono leaf setup under that car. Not a bolt on for sure! Had to cut and weld on the frame and build custom parts. I enjoy building parts for one car at a time. Can't make any money doing it but banging out production parts gets old after 20 years!
Those are beautiful cars. My absolute favorite Galaxie based car is the 61 Starliner. LAWD hammercy. lol

61 STARLINER.jpg

This is the one we're working on. It has a 427 side oiler in it with dual throttle bodies.

IMG_1489 (Large).JPG

-
Back