Does my 8 3/4 489 case need "body work"?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
Noticed a spring hanging down near the center of my differential (see foto). I guess it must be left over from when a previous owner installed an 8 3/4 rear end (open, 2.93, 489 case) in my '65 Formula "S". Probably used to hang on to a brake line or something.

Then I noticed what appears to be a dent/indentation in the very backside of the differential (see foto--it is a little hard to see with the rust in the way). I don't think that is supposed to be there, should be just round and smooth (like a baby's bottom) right?

DSC01302.JPG

DSC01301.JPG

The spring is unknown, some previous owner was using it to secure something probably.

The dent makes me think there was a differential or ring gear failure at speed. If it doesn't leak, just hammer it smooth with a dolly and carry on. If you want to make it perfect with filler and primer, that's up to you.

The dent makes me think there was a differential or ring gear failure at speed. If it doesn't leak, just hammer it smooth with a dolly and carry on. If you want to make it perfect with filler and primer, that's up to you.

X2 Is the dent pushing out, or did something strike it from the back?

-
Back