Dome light issue - 66 Barracuda

-

robodhran

Reaction score
Hi. My dome lights don't work.

Can someone show me, where those wires are connected? I would like to trace the wires to find the problem. Do have wiring diagrams, but...to find the right spots in the car is another challenge.

As far I know, the wiring is still original. The wires of the dome lights are yellow and pink and the bulbs are ok. Fuse block should be ok too. Foot compartment light is working.

Thanks a lot.
Robert

The wiring from the dome light to the main under dash harness is behind the driver's kick panel. There are several possibilities why it's not working - the dome light harness is disconnected from the main harness or the yellow wire at the door switch might be disconnected.

I agree with 65 dartman on his advice. However since the footwell light is being turned on the door switch is likely OK. Recently had this come up on a clunker I revived and that was that the overhead domelight requires a two pin bulb (officially a #1004). In this instance someone had put in a single pin bulb which did not make contact so worth checking. Once kick panel is off you can disconnect overhead domelight plug and test for 12V on pink wire on main harness side and or make a jumper to send 12V thru overhead dome light harness to see if it reaches the dome light above. The yellow wire is a ground and you should not connect it directly to a 12V power source. If overhead domelight harness is disconnected from main harness you can then jump it like the pink wire to see if the 12V's makes it up to the overhead dome light fixture as a wiring check. Also consider cleaning bulb contacts and/or removing overhead domelight to clean socket contacts.

Thanks Don and vailantpatrol. 100% success!! :thumbsup:

I removed the kick panel and checked 12V (ok), then I digged my way along the wire and found a broken wire and corroded plug in the corner of the rear bench. Just had to cut out a short piece.

It's wonderful, how the two dome lights shine! Happy! Thanks again!

Next thing I will have to trace the right front blinker cable (blinker works on the rear). But this I will do tomorrow...

WP_20160826_21_13_12_Pro.jpg
WP_20160826_21_44_12_Pro.jpg
WP_20160826_21_45_04_Pro.jpg

-
Back