Don't do things last minute!

-

porterracing

Reaction score
So this is random but... trying to get a head shave and a 3 angle valve job done within two days... After explaining the time line to the machinist, "oh yeah, shouldn't be a problem" is the answer. "If anything I'll call you Friday(the next day) with good or bad news" Friday comes no call... Saturday, I call, the answer is... "he'll try to get to it Monday." Kids, don't wait till the last minute, now job will not get done by deadline and money is wasted down the drain... Hopefully I can learn from this mistake! (Highly unlikely) lol

So my normal shop says "The crank will take me 4-5 weeks to get done" to turn a 383 crank I need. I also have an AMC 401 that needs doing. So, I figured I'd try a friend that owns a shop and has a grinder in his shop. Reputation is mixed but I think I know why and it wouldn't affect my product. So, I drop in and getr "A couple weeks." After 4 weeks I call. After 6 weeks I call. After 8 weeks I call. Finally got them both back after 10 weeks. The quality is good. Not as good as my regular guy, but will work for what I'm doing.
Moral of the story - Unless you have a great rep with the shop (meaning he gets paid by you regularly) you will never be number one on his list. Your rush is not his, and yes, many will simply tell you waht you want to hear to get the work in. Ugly but true.

Very true, but a two hour job takes four days. .. Frustrated but hey I waited till the last minute.

-
Back