Drum Disassembly and Assembly

-

340 RR

Reaction score
Hello, I am re-doing the brakes on my 1973 roadrunner and have attached pictures of how the brakes are set up once I removed the drum on the rear driver and rear passenger side. Is there anything that seems to be missing or can they be assembled just like this with new parts? My only concern, from watching videos, is the parking brake lever and cross-bar and whether those should be on one of the drum assemblies. They were not there when everything came apart and the pictures show that as well. Any clarification is appreciated, thanks!

IMG_9413.JPG

IMG_9429.JPG

The brake strut rods are missing.

Mymopar.com

download your car's factory service manual.

You are missing all the parking brake parts.

the parts are dependent on the size brake you have, but they are attainable

Thank you RRR and Dana. Question for RRR - Do both rear brake assemblies get that brake strut rod? Don't I also need that parking brake lever that goes behind the shoe? Thanks

Yes, both sides get a lever and strut rods. Levers get attached to the secondary shoe (rear most) with a horseshoe clip.

Yes, both sides get a lever and strut rods. Levers get attached to the secondary shoe (rear most) with a horseshoe clip.
As stated above, you will need these things, otherwise, you will have NO parking brakes. It looks like, from the pictures, there are no parking brake cables either.
You could probably do without any of these things, but as I said, you'll have no parking brakes. Remember also when you re-assemble them, short shoe front, long shoe rear.

These are from 67 FSM later years might be slightly different.

Screenshot_20240304-084023.png

Screenshot_20240304-084146.png

Thank you all for your help. I tried to find some parking brake levers and struts online but I’ve had some trouble. Oldmanmopar, if you have 2 levers and 2 struts for 11 inch drums, I’d love to buy them off you if you won’t be needing them. The car is an auto and I won’t be using the parking brake much but while I have everything apart, I’d like to set it back up correctly. Thanks again to all.

-
Back