Duralast brake shoes

-

DusterDaddy

sledgehammer mechanic
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen a wheels cylinder rod pitch down so much?
Car is a 74 Duster with 10 drums in the back. We put together with the long spring on the front shoe as well and switched to the short spring thinking it would help the angle of the rod. No such luck
IMG_6387.JPG

One thing pops out to me, the rods look like they are pushed out to their max. You may need to open the bleeder and get those pushed in some. The one shoe on the right in the pic doesn't look seated at the top like it should be.

My guess... one side or both of that wheel cylinder is stuck. The return spring(s) should push the fluid/piston back. If opening the bleeder relieves fluid pressure and wheel cylinder compresses next suspect is the flexible fluid line above the differential.

My guess... one side or both of that wheel cylinder is stuck. The return spring(s) should push the fluid/piston back. If opening the bleeder relieves fluid pressure and wheel cylinder compresses next suspect is the flexible fluid line above the differential.
There are no brakes lines installed yet

Ok then, something amiss with that wheel cylinder is still my guess.
I'm going to get after it in about an hour and figure it out
It's the same thing on both sides so it must have something to do with you not being seated properly

Last edited:
Here is the whole thing we put bith yellow springs oninitiall. last night I put the short spring on the front shoe to see if it would pull it up to make that piston rod straighten out but it did not. You can see the front shoe is not sitting as close to the top pin as the rear shoe is. It's like this on both sides of the car.

IMG_6402.JPG

Last edited:
Is the ebrake cable pulling it out of whack?
I'm not sure Keith. I had poor Al here yesterday with no brake tools putting them together. I stopped at Advance Auto and bought some cheap brake tools. Today. I'm going to take a whack at it in a few minutes. I'm real sure I can solve it after Al did the heavy lifting. I do think the longer spring belongs on the front as well

duralast shoes,..are thay the right shoes?? do thay match what was on the car??? most time i get duralast i gotta make 2nd trip to get the right shoes...

push the right side shoe up.....look at top where spring eye is, the bottoms of the shoes should be even, your 1/4 off
backwards.jpg
img_6402-jpg.1715030147.jpg

Ok. The problem is the hole in the front shoe for the retainer pin and spring are different from the old shoes. To put the top of the shoe in the proper position the retainer pin would be angled up about 30 degrees or more. I'm going to get different brake shoes.
What should I get?

Ok. The problem is the hole in the front shoe for the retainer pin and spring are different from the old shoes. To put the top of the shoe in the proper position the retainer pin would be angled up about 30 degrees or more. I'm going to get different brake shoes.
What should I get?

look at the pin where the adjuster lever pivots on
did they come pre-installed?
if not, you may have two fronts or two backs

but to be fair, it looks like the pistons are too far out
check the cylinder

Is that a Russian service manual ?
I just put in the proper perspective so it would match up. Still looks wonky at yellow circle. Do the arcs line up, like did you get a 9 and a 10? Here is another reference pic: Another observation...is the cocked strut seated in the piston or is it hung up on the top edge?
drum-brakes.jpg
shoe_LI.jpg

Last edited:
Ok. The problem is the hole in the front shoe for the retainer pin and spring are different from the old shoes.

Sure looks that way. Nothing wrong with Duralast in my mind, take the old shoes with you along with those new ones, and see if they gave you the correct ones. If they come up with a different number, use the old shoe to match up to the new one, holes, length, width etc.

I have it at a shop now and they say the wheel cylinder is too small. Anyone know what the right wheel cylinder part number for a 8.25 rear with 10 drums?
IMG_6438.JPG

-
Back