Duster, Is it good deal?

-

BakoGuy

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I'm not all that familiar with Chrysler products but not new to cars in general. Wanted to ask what you guys think of this Plymouth Duster? I have been obsessed with Dusters since I saw the Duster episode of Roadkill on YouTube. Would like to purchase one. Thanks.

1972 Plymouth Duster 4speed

RARE !!!!!!!! RARE!!!!!!! 4 SPEED!!!!!!!!!!! RARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What pile of hacked up ****.
That thing is a 3500 dollar car at best

I would Begin running, and don't stop until you see the five mile marker. Then consider yourself lucky you didn't fall into the abyss!

Well, I'll say it has some good pieces. 360 4-speed combo is good. 8 3/4 rear is good. Sounds like some money in the front suspension, that would be good. '72 is a good year (resale i'm thinking). Shark tooth grill, that's good. Probably some more things too.....
however....
I don't see his price at all. I don't think the body is close to that price.

well, you got good taste, now you just need to find a good car that matches it
(as in, a decent 70-72 4 speed duster

Well, I'll say it has some good pieces. 360 4-speed combo is good. 8 3/4 rear is good. Sounds like some money in the front suspension, that would be good. '72 is a good year (resale i'm thinking). Shark tooth grill, that's good. Probably some more things too.....
however....
I don't see his price at all. I don't think the body is close to that price.

i wonder if he went all out with that front suspension like he did with the rear shackles?

Yes sir,
go to the bank, borrow the money, buy the nicely done car, and drive it. make the payments, and forget about it.

Well somebody definitely did some questionable work on that thing. But, it has some good parts like 318willrun pointed out. 360, 4 speed, power brakes, sharktooth grille, 8 3/4, Air Gap intake, subframe connectors etc. It also doesn't look like a rusty pile of crap, which is a BIG bonus. It also looks like they just spray bombed it without bodywork based on some of the stuff they painted over, so, the body may not be that bad besides the spray bomb job. And, it was a 340 car originally.

I'd have to see it in person. Not enough pictures of the bottom of the car or the floor pans where they like to rust. At least one person that worked on it took a lot of shortcuts. But it also doesn't look like they completely destroyed the car (besides all the holes in the dash). If it's not a rusty pile of crap, and it's not a total bondo bucket, it might actually be a decent start. Most of the shortcuts taken look pretty easy to reverse. Still probably only worth half of what he's asking if it's solid given its general appearance and condition. Maybe a little more, but I definitely wouldn't go more than $5k. You can get a much nicer car than that for $8k.

Screen Shot 2017-02-25 at 8.39.40 PM.png

The car is an abused, hacked up piece of ****. I've owned some shitty project cars but I would be embarrassed to tell anyone that I owned or "built" that car. Taking pictures in the shade ??? Common practice for people with something to hide. The grille is spray bombed too, likely full of cracks and held in with bailing wire. Heater motor gone, hole covered with a crappy block off plate. Door panels replaced with some bullshit metal panels ? Carpeting that looks like it was bought at ACE hardware. Leaf spring shackles ??? When so many cosmetic things look this bad, I have no confidence that the mechanicals are done right. No battery holddown. No power steering but it has power brakes? A 360 making "Over 400 Horsepower" likely has low vacuum so either the brakes suck or the engine makes much less HP.
No mention of the axle gearing or if it has a SG diff. No mention of the actual transmission. It could be the OD 833, a piece of crap trans for any engine making 400 HP. I love these cars but I wouldn't pay even $2000 for this hunk of ****. EVERYthing on it needs to be done over and done right.

Save your money and be patient.
Educate yourself on these cars before you buy a nightmare pile of crap that needs everything.
If you are planning on a project, find the nicest body you can, with whatever engine, and swap in the running gear you want...or find a mostly done car somebody else spent too much time and money on a lost interest.
There are much better deals out there if you keep cash readily available and BE PATIENT.

Never trust a car in primer..... Especially one like that. Kerndog summed it up....

JW

Never trust a car in primer..... Especially one like that. Kerndog summed it up....

JW

Primer???
Looks like black spray paint to me.
Look at the gas stain down the quarter.
Probably the same crap that's on the grill. I wouldnt want to have to try to get all that off that grill, much less tape it off and repaint.

Primer???
Looks like black spray paint to me.
Look at the gas stain down the quarter.
Probably the same crap that's on the grill. I wouldnt want to have to try to get all that off that grill, much less tape it off and repaint.

I was thinking the same thing with the grill..... Someone tried to Murder this one and didn't get the job done.....

It's not that that bad for a clean CA shell with a v8 and 4 speed. It does need some unrigging but most looks like a simple fix to me. I would take a refrigerator magnet to the body and look at the under side for rot. If the shell is clean that is a great start and it already has a lot of upgrades that could use updating. It wouldn't pay 8k for it but it is 5-6k worthy

How mechanically inclined are you? If you know your way around an engine bay and have your own tools then I would consider that Duster but not at the price being asked.

Is your goal to have a somewhat stock/factory looking Duster? If so, stay well away from that one.

Here are lots of Dusters for sale so don't buy that one thinking it's the last one you will see for sale. As others have indicated, think twice, perhaps three times before offering to buy that Duster.

It's not that that bad for a clean CA shell with a v8 and 4 speed. It does need some unrigging but most looks like a simple fix to me. I would take a refrigerator magnet to the body and look at the under side for rot. If the shell is clean that is a great start and it already has a lot of upgrades that could use updating. It wouldn't pay 8k for it but it is 5-6k worthy
area has a lot to do with evaluation. I live in the Northern part of Illinois too, and there is nothing around for '72 Dusters in the rust belt. I agree, if the body was solid, it's worth 4500 - 5000 here.

That guy is going to have that car for a long time at that price.
I would have to look at it in person to put a value on it, but i wouldn't even look at it if it unless the price was dropped to half of what he's asking.........

Rust repair alone can cost thousands. I'm down in Roselle/Schaumburg

Driving a nice car isn't all it's cracked up to be either. Constantly worrying about scratches. Worrying about weather. Constantly having to wash and wax/ polish.
Not saying this is a great car but I would rather drive one like it and enjoy it rather than have a super expensive trailer queen.

$6000ish depending on a few things. (Rust, how it runs/drives)

The car is an abused, hacked up piece of ****. I've owned some shitty project cars but I would be embarrassed to tell anyone that I owned or "built" that car. Taking pictures in the shade ??? Common practice for people with something to hide. The grille is spray bombed too, likely full of cracks and held in with bailing wire. Heater motor gone, hole covered with a crappy block off plate. Door panels replaced with some bullshit metal panels ? Carpeting that looks like it was bought at ACE hardware. Leaf spring shackles ??? When so many cosmetic things look this bad, I have no confidence that the mechanicals are done right. No battery holddown. No power steering but it has power brakes? A 360 making "Over 400 Horsepower" likely has low vacuum so either the brakes suck or the engine makes much less HP.
No mention of the axle gearing or if it has a SG diff. No mention of the actual transmission. It could be the OD 833, a piece of crap trans for any engine making 400 HP. I love these cars but I wouldn't pay even $2000 for this hunk of ****. EVERYthing on it needs to be done over and done right.

Good grief man. Nit pick much? The carpet, door panels, and shackles could be replaced in an afternoon. Not only that, but they're parts that have to be replaced on 90% of the cars out there if you're spending less then $6k. Somebody just replaced them on the cheap. I'd include the blower motor in that category but it's probably missing the heater box too. If it isn't that's an easy fix. Heck it's an easy fix to install the heater box, you'd just have to find one.

Next up, a 360 making 400 hp is a pretty tame build nowadays. It doesn't have to be low vacuum at all. Although I would guess it isn't making 400 hp anyway. As far as the 833 OD, they'll hold 400 hp. I know of one that lived behind a solid 440 for a season at the drag strip and that was in a B body. People sell them short all the time, they're not that bad. Especially on the street with a light car. But it's probably not an OD anyway. All of these things would be a piece of cake to figure out in person. Heck I'd go look at the thing myself if it were in Northern California instead of SoCal.

I'd have to see it in person, and so would everyone here. The rattle can paint job is making it look like crap, and I personally think it's making it look a lot worse than it actually is. I bet that car has less rust than Kern Dogs project. Most of the stuff that's been done to it could be undone in a day or two by anyone that can turn a wrench. If it runs and isn't rusty it's not a bad car. For half of what the guy is asking of course, but it appears to have "solid bones" as they say. I'd rather buy a car like that than one with shiny fresh paint. Rattle can doesn't hide anything if you look at it up close and in person.

See this car? This car is hiding thousands of dollars worth of rust repair. It needs full quarters, frame rail sections, floor pans, the works. As it sits in THIS photo. I'd rather buy a car with a lousy rattle can paint job than this one again.
IMG_3285copy.jpg

Good grief man. Nit pick much? The carpet, door panels, and shackles could be replaced in an afternoon. Not only that, but they're parts that have to be replaced on 90% of the cars out there if you're spending less then $6k. Somebody just replaced them on the cheap. I'd include the blower motor in that category but it's probably missing the heater box too. If it isn't that's an easy fix. Heck it's an easy fix to install the heater box, you'd just have to find one.

Next up, a 360 making 400 hp is a pretty tame build nowadays. It doesn't have to be low vacuum at all. Although I would guess it isn't making 400 hp anyway. As far as the 833 OD, they'll hold 400 hp. I know of one that lived behind a solid 440 for a season at the drag strip and that was in a B body. People sell them short all the time, they're not that bad. Especially on the street with a light car. But it's probably not an OD anyway. All of these things would be a piece of cake to figure out in person. Heck I'd go look at the thing myself if it were in Northern California instead of SoCal.

I'd have to see it in person, and so would everyone here. The rattle can paint job is making it look like crap, and I personally think it's making it look a lot worse than it actually is. I bet that car has less rust than Kern Dogs project. Most of the stuff that's been done to it could be undone in a day or two by anyone that can turn a wrench. If it runs and isn't rusty it's not a bad car. For half of what the guy is asking of course, but it appears to have "solid bones" as they say. I'd rather buy a car like that than one with shiny fresh paint. Rattle can doesn't hide anything if you look at it up close and in person.

See this car? This car is hiding thousands of dollars worth of rust repair. It needs full quarters, frame rail sections, floor pans, the works. As it sits in THIS photo. I'd rather buy a car with a lousy rattle can paint job than this one again.
View attachment 1715021975
I agree with EVERYTHING that was written in this post (except I have no knowledge on Kern Dog's project).

Either do I...
Which project? The Dart Sport? The Valiant convertible? What other cars have I posted here?
The scrutiny gets more intense as the price goes up. If the asking price was reasonable, the car doesn't get picked apart as badly.
I'd love to sell these cars for the prices some are willing to pay. I must just be lucky here with most of my projects only needing patch work. I've never had to replace full floors or frame rails. The only quarter panel replacements I've done is because of crash damage or in the case of my Dart Sport...To reverse some bullshit wheel arch modifications. Guys that only see rusted cars in their area seem to be more willing to spend the cash.

The only validity the car would have is if as stated the metal is clean with minimal repair needed. Call it primer/ crap paint or whatever but a dull sheen can make a car look like

View attachment 1715021975

No doubt everything you said is true. I personally saw a well educated Chevelle guy get one crammed right up his butthole and I mean kapowee like and most people would have thought it was a nice car. If the car was under 4500.00 then I would probably say go look at it and if you don't know what to look for find someone who does.....

JW

-
Back