Early A Body Dutra Duals

-

Slantsix64

Reaction score
Anyone has pictures of this set up on an early a body so i can get an idea how to get the muffler done i was trying to match it with my current size 2.25 this will be going on a four speed 225 six. also what you noticed from the swap hoping to gain 5 or 10 horses.

65 Valiant 225
P1000752.JPG
P1000749.JPG
P1000749.JPG
P1000749.JPG

The pictures are dark so I'll try to get newer ones. I only used the front manifold and cut the original for the rear so I could keep the choke assembly since I live in a colder climate.

The pictures are dark so I'll try to get newer ones. I only used the front manifold and cut the original for the rear so I could keep the choke assembly since I live in a colder climate.
Please show these when you can. I have two stock manifolds and if its within reason and ability, I'm very interested in what you've done. I appreciate the response.

sorry no pics , but years ago . i needed to modify my barracuda for twin 2.25 throw flowmasters . i used a hole saw about 2 1/2 -3 inch in dia on a 1/2 driver drill motor , the shaft of the center drill is 1/4 dia shaft so i removed that centering drill , i welded a piece of 1/4 shaft rod to the bottom of the trans cross member with the shaft hanging out on both front and rear on that member , oiled the shaft and used it as a centering rod in the center drill hole of the hole saw and bore / cut that cross member from both sides , and welded in a @180 deg piece of tubing to fill that gap in the cross member that i cut the notch in . and the other side of that piece of tubing , was used to fill in the gap on the trans bracket as well . and on the passenger side exhaust pipe must have a parting flange placed in it to be able to remove that trans bracket for clutch repairs , not a bad idea for both sides of the exhaust pipes , this was the coolest storage i ever had .
Scan0043_0043.jpg
hope i drew a good enough pic . still in the car today some twenty years later .

sorry no pics , but years ago . i needed to modify my barracuda for twin 2.25 throw flowmasters . i used a hole saw about 2 1/2 -3 inch in dia on a 1/2 driver drill motor , the shaft of the center drill is 1/4 dia shaft so i removed that centering drill , i welded a piece of 1/4 shaft rod to the bottom of the trans cross member with the shaft hanging out on both front and rear on that member , oiled the shaft and used it as a centering rod in the center drill hole of the hole saw and bore / cut that cross member from both sides , and welded in a @180 deg piece of tubing to fill that gap in the cross member that i cut the notch in . and the other side of that piece of tubing , was used to fill in the gap on the trans bracket as well . and on the passenger side exhaust pipe must have a parting flange placed in it to be able to remove that trans bracket for clutch repairs , not a bad idea for both sides of the exhaust pipes , this was the coolest storage i ever had . View attachment 1714974555 hope i drew a good enough pic . still in the car today some twenty years later .

if I read this right your saying you modified the transmission mount to accommodate dual exhausts?

there is another member here who does that to make some money on the side

yes , did it for the duels on my 64 barracuda v8 4spd car . and i hope i did not wreck any bizz for anyone , as you can tell from my description you must have the working knowledge of welding and fabrication , and a place to get it done .

Just to throw a kink, dual exhaust is not always better. The early V-8 273 Hi-performance (Commando) engines came w/ a special exhaust, but it was a single tube. Apparently, they tested both and found the single tube performed better. In the 1970's, motorcycle magazines were full of ads for 4-into-1 exhausts claiming 30% more power. When Honda & Kawasaki changed to that in factory bikes, the same companies seamlessly switched to advertising 4 separate exhausts claiming 30% more power.

-
Back