EAS!!!! Driving from CA to TN

-

hobbsza

Reaction score
Hello everyone I eas from the USMC in mid September and I've convinced my uncle to fly out to California and make the road trip with me. the plan is to hop on rt66 in Santa Monica and stay on it as much as possible to ft. Leonard wood Missouri then cut back down south to my home town McMinnville, TN. 2501 total miles

The car ill be driving is a 1974 Plymouth duster that is pretty much stock and original as far as the engine goes other than a weiand 4 barrel intake and summit carb and headers. I've re done the entire suspension over the past 3yrs with polly bushings, firm feel torsion bars 1.16, bilstein shocks and front sway bar from pst, and hotchkis leaf springs.

So id love to get advice from everyone about how to prep the car, best oil to use, maybe tricks for better mpg lol I average around 12 in the city I don't do a ton of highway driving mostly just up one side of Palomar mountain and down the other. The bare minimum for tools I don't want to be carrying more weight than I need. I've owned the car for 4 1/2 years and put about 15000 miles on it and its never left me stranded so I'm hoping it can do one more big trip before she gets a new heart.

Also share pics and experiences I'm a young guy who loves to learn from others mistakes ha its a lot easier than making my own. thanks for taking the time to read and hopefully post.

First, thank you for your service and congrats on completing your contract with the Marine Corps!!

Put a pair of vise grips, a couple of screwdrivers and some duct tape in a tool bag, then get in your car and drive!!!! You're going to have a blast!!!

What means "eas?"

Sounds like a great trip in the making

A 2gallon gas can and an extra ballast resistor if you run one are nice things to have with you.
6' of primary wire, a test light, spark plug wrench, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16 and 5/8 wrenches.
One each flat and Phillips, needle nose pliers, electrical tape, and an extra gallon of water.

I consider these tools to be a minimum must have on a long trip outside of the obvious stuff like a good spare tire and a jack, drinking water, and a first aid kit with a needle and thread. :D
Firearm protection is an absolute must as far as I am concerned, and especially with all the little side trips into tweaker towns you'll be making.

I agree with the side arm for sure, and didn't think about a test light. That's why I posted though thanks

A 2gallon gas can and an extra ballast resistor if you run one are nice things to have with you.
6' of primary wire, a test light, spark plug wrench, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16 and 5/8 wrenches.
One each flat and Phillips, needle nose pliers, electrical tape, and an extra gallon of water.

I consider these tools to be a minimum must have on a long trip outside of the obvious stuff like a good spare tire and a jack, drinking water, and a first aid kit with a needle and thread. :D
Firearm protection is an absolute must as far as I am concerned, and especially with all the little side trips into tweaker towns you'll be making.

there you go.along with channel locks

Run the oil you've been running. Do an oil change before you leave. Do a check of the front brakes and check the front wheel bearings. Maybe consider a rear gear oil change as well as change out your brake fluid

As far as supplies you can hit the local Sears and pick up a small took bag. I would run a set of 1/4 inch and 3/8 socket set. Pliers, needle nose and a pair of Chanel locks. Screw drivers, Phillips and flat tip.

As far as spare parts,

Extra ECU
Balast resistor
A few quarts of oil
Spare oil filter
Spare fan belts
Some extra lug nuts
Gallon of antifreeze (weather is getting warmer)
Roll of good electrical tape and a roll of 100mph tape
Bottle of brake fluid

I also have a small jack that's in a carrying case. Maybe add a couple of jack stands

Zip ties, hose clamps. IPOD full of good music.

every kind of fluid your car takes. IE power steering, brake fluid etc

Cash for all those Asian Massage Parlors on the side of the freeway.

Thanks for your service!

Zip ties, hose clamps. IPOD full of good music.

every kind of fluid your car takes. IE power steering, brake fluid etc

Cash for all those Asian Massage Parlors on the side of the freeway.

Thanks for your service!

And some extra cash for the Medicenter. Gotta pay for those silver bullets

it will be a cool trip. years back I flew from Mo. to Ca and drove back a restored 67 383 cuda. most fun I have ever had with my clothes on.

If ya need help, i'm, 10 mi north of old 66, near Miller Mo, between Joplin and Springfield.

Don't forget cell phone, VISA, & AAA card

Have fun!!!!!!!!

Take pics and share the story!!!

Jeff

The guys above have given great advice regarding what to bring. If something does happen, it is just part of the adventure. Bring a complete set of replacement bulbs and fuses. Make sure your headlights are well adjusted with your cross-country load weight in the car. Tire air pressure is critical and varies depending on load. I always use chalk scrubbed across the tread to determine the correct pressure and get the lower tire bulge to the right shape.

If you can stay off the main super freeways and take a parallel route without much trouble, I highly recommend it. Many times these routes existed before the super freeways came into existence. Don't forget to allow extra time and take a few detours if you find something interesting to you along the way.

Also, do yourself a favor and buy a Valentine 1 radar detector. It will pay for itself several times over on such a long trip. I've had mine for over a decade. It's one of the best over the road devices ever created by man.

As previously stated, Thank You!
Double check those lug nuts.
Members along the route can be a great resource. Stay connected!
Maybe a spare cell for car location, just in case.

Have a safe trip.

Up the gas can to at least one 5 gallon can , I carry 3 of them when I make my annual trip to Moparfest , I also carry a spare ignition box , voltage regulator and coil to go with the ballast resistor those things plus a good spare and some trans fluid are the only things I would add to the other guys lists , I need to fuel up every 2.5 to 3 hours with my stroker but recommend stopping at these intervals even if you don't need gas so your legs and back don't get all jinky on you , I find I can easily do 4-5 of these runs in a day .

Congratulations on completing your enlistment. Looks like everyone has pretty much covered everything you'll need. Some have recommended a lot more spare parts than I would personally carry, but I guess it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Make sure you have your timing and carb set up properly; the elevation changes will effect the performance on a carb'd car.

If you're going to carry, be aware of the laws in the states you're going through, or be prepared for the consequences if you choose to carry anyways. Don't do anything to get pulled over, and you should be ok.

Semper Fi!

And a bunch of FABO members phone numbers along the way. If you get stranded anywhere between Albuquerque and OKC, give me a call.. feel free to PM me for a phone number before you hit the road...

Thank you for your service! I think everyone covered your needs maybe some bailing wire. Anyway have a great trip enjoy your time cruising!

remember you can fix anything with duct tape, baling wire, and super glue! good flashlight, and as ,mentioned a good fire extinguisher. did anyone mention spare fusable link?

-
Back