Ebay GT45 + 5.9 Magnum + E85 blow thru

-
Thanks for all of the tips. I'm still learning. Should I run the WG directly off the compressor or where do you recommend.
You are using a Boost Controller, correct?

If so, all boost controllers, both manual and electronic, BLEED boost off your WG so that it stays shut longer and raises Boost above the WG spring pressure. So if you're running 7psi but your WG spring is rated for say 4psi, then the WG is only "Seeing" 4 psi because the Boost control is Leaking the other 3psi.

The LAST thing you want is the FPR to get LESS boost than what it should.

So yeah, the Compressor is a fine spot for the Wg boost source.

There are no issues with the BOV and FPR being connected to the same source.

You are using a Boost Controller, correct?

If so, all boost controllers, both manual and electronic, BLEED boost off your WG so that it stays shut longer and raises Boost above the WG spring pressure. So if you're running 7psi but your WG spring is rated for say 4psi, then the WG is only "Seeing" 4 psi because the Boost control is Leaking the other 3psi.

The LAST thing you want is the FPR to get LESS boost than what it should.

So yeah, the Compressor is a fine spot for the Wg boost source.

There are no issues with the BOV and FPR being connected to the same source.
Thanks again. Yes, I'm running a manual boost controller. It is plumbed after the distribution block though, spliced between the distro block and wastegate. From the distro block I also feed the boost ref on the FPR.
plumbing.png

Hummm. Making me think about this. Actually there is no turbo pressure introduced directly into the PCV. The PCV valves are on the top of both valve convers and are plumbed from there to the catch can. But maybe I'm making some kind of turbo amateur mistake?

No expert here and no knowledge re turbos, but shouldn't the PCV system be pulling vacuum, when there is vacuum, through a valve on one side of the engine and drawing fresh air into the crankcase on the other side?
I am running the Wagner Dual Flow Adjustable PCV valve, drawing vacuum from both 3/8 vacuum ports on my fitech, through a diy air/ oil seperator, then the Wagner PCV and hooked into 1 valve cover. The other valve cover has a baffled breather. The adjustable PCV allows you to make sure the crankcase is almost always seeing vacuum. They have good info on their website, if you haven't already checked it out.
Ken

PCV is postive crankcase vaccum, turbos make boost or postive pressure. Opposite of vaccum. So under boost, unless you have a check valve, you would be pressurizing the crankcase... Not goot

I'm basically just venting to atmosphere via the catchcan directly from the valve covers. I know I'm not introducing any circulation or positive pressure in the crankcase but I'm not introducing turbo pressure either.

Couldn't you also also just feed it into the intake, pre turbo?

Both covers have a -10 an line running to a separator that vents to atmosphere
Thanks. Yeah, I was just looking at pics of your setup (very nice!). Looks identical to mine. Valve covers to a catch can that vents to atmosphere.

Thanks. Yeah, I was just looking at pics of your setup (very nice!). Looks identical to mine. Valve covers to a catch can that vents to atmosphere.

Thank you, I wouldn't sweat your vents. I think You blew that oil pan gasket out because of the head gasket popped in 4 places. It may be low pressure from the turbo, but it's also high volume. Went directly into the intake valley.

Engine back together and installed. Thought I'd share some better pics of the hot side and other details for you guys.
IMG_4307.JPG

Looks good thanks for the pics. Forgive me for my ignorance but is that ground strap just going from the head to ground the body because your battery is moved to the trunk? Just asking because I am Moving my battery to the trunk and thinking I might need one.

Looks good thanks for the pics. Forgive me for my ignorance but is that ground strap just going from the head to ground the body because your battery is moved to the trunk? Just asking because I am Moving my battery to the trunk and thinking I might need one.
Yes. The ground strap is from the head to the body and the battery is in the trunk. Haven't had any grounding issues with this setup for a couple of years now.

Also wanted to mention that I swapped out my motor mount insulators. I had an original pair of Early-A 273 insulators sitting around which are thicker than the ones that Schumacher ships with their kit. With these thicker insulators installed on both sides I only needed to shim up the driver's side about a 1/4" to get the exhaust manifold to clear the steering shaft.

And ordered my new 30 spline axles today from DrDiff. Hope to get the 3.23 suregrip put in before the next TnT to see how this combo does with taller gears.

Gonna have a nice 35 spline Moser axles and 489/4.30 spool setup for sale if anybody is interested.

How is the hot rod coming along?
Installed my 3.23 SG and new axels and learned by brakes won't work with axels. Bought some 11" drums, waiting for them to arrive. That and the Fitech is still giving me fits when coming off idle. Loads up like its flooding and then it's just a big stuttering mess. Gonna revisit timing and then reset and start from fact defaults again. Sigh...

It's always something but you could be changing jets and checking spark plugs. It's totally worth it in the end. FI will really wake up an engine, you won't be disappointed

I chopped up the rad support a little more and was able to get some fresh air into the inducer. I'll eventually take out the rest of the rad support and build a new skeleton between the fenders and maybe even shift the rad towards the driver's side a bit.
IMG_4624.JPG

Finally put a few miles on the thing after messing with the FITECH just about every evening for the past week.
Walk around vid of the car.

...went out for a couple of test "runs". I can't bring myself to say "hits" like all of the Street Outlaws guys. Lol. I grew up in a different time when a run was a run and a hit...was well, something entirely different.

This was starting off in 2nd, quickly shifting into 3rd followed by a quick "pucker factor" as the boost came on and the rear got squirrelly and I had to let off.

-
Back