Eddy Heads: Like or Dislike?

-

dartkory

Reaction score
I just ordered my edelbrock rpm heads for my 318 which i have rebuilt with the kb pistons so with the heads it should put my compression ratio around 9.5:1. I was just wondering what others think of these heads. Anyone install em and if so did you notice a good gain in power? or did you have any problems with them? what did you like or dislike about them? Thanks for any input. -Kory

they are costly, but i like them. got em on my 408 stroker, of course i didnt just bolt em on, had hughes engines go through and port them for me.

took a set out of the box and ran them on a 360 with 10.5 compression for 5 yrs or so....

They take a little massaging, but when set up right they are good. Every now and again you get a set that has some bad core shift. Nothing you can do about that except send them back.

I have made well over 600hp many times with these heads, all engine.

I have a set on my parts shelf that flow about 300CFM at 600 lift that are fresh.
Some day I'll put them to use.

have them on my 416 stroker and they have been massaged too,over 510 hp.

Depends on what you purchased. If you bought the open chamber ones, send them back, and get the closed ones. This would also depend on where the pistons end up in relation to the deck

They are decent. Not the greatest, but a good head.

from heads to head! lol only mopar guys! so it sounds like overall they are a good cylinder head, but I am kinda breaking the bank buying them so will they still be ok even without "massaging" them? thanks for the help. -Kory

So, what are the "greatest"?

LOL Mike, the question of the century. IMO, for an aluminum head, for what is basically a nice inexpensive replacement/high performance head, I really do not think the Edelbrock can be beat.

Stepping up in performance always requires money and it never seem's to be proportional in the money spent vs. performance gained. Looking at the next head "UP" the scale in aluminum, well, I guess there will be a lot of "IMO" posts coming to what is better and for what purpose.
(All ways the catch.)

The next step up in heads?

I'd like to know what the deal is with the "Super Commando" head. At $1200 or so a head assembled, it is pricey and there is no info n the head.

Also, the LP head in cast iron (310) has some info out there on it.
(Also discontinued? ) MoPar stated it to be used as a replacement head for the W5 that was discontinued sadly.

I'm happy with my Edelbrock heads. OOTB, they performed really well.

MRL you should be answering this question!

IMO cheapish/Bruiser

W-2

LOL Im just sparking comments. Its always good to see what other people think, and WHY.

Its really a relative question. One heads is not the best for everything. You wouldnt run a W9 for a street car, nor would you run a J head for a Sprint car. See what Im saying?

The RPM covers a Wide area. Great for the street, and properly set up, great for a lot of racing applications. Where the RPM falls short, you have a few options out there, and a few more Coming.

I like the eddy heads and have the 60779 heads on my 340. All in all not a bad head and as stated earlier just look for the core shift (I've never gotten a pair like that ever and I've been through quite a few sets, mostly ford and GM) if you do just send them back.
Now I will state that I tried like all hell to find a set of late casting W5 heads before I bought the Eddys but couldnt. For a person that drives there more street and races once in a while, the W5 would be the best head out there but are to find and will cost you a quite a bit but if you wanna play you gotta pay and a set of Eddys ported and cleaned up will diffenatly give you the most bange for you buck when talking about aluminum heads.

I've had 2 sets. I was one of the first to get the first batch of them, Waited over a year for them, lol. Both sets went on mild 360s and ran mid 11's. I'm thinking I'll try the RHS heads next though. You'll want to have a decent machine shop check them out before you bolt them on.

-
Back