Edelbrock Carburetors?

-

coalman

Reaction score
On my 360 powered Dart I looking at replacing my leaky Holley with either a 600 or 650 cfm model. The car is used for street use and cruise in's only. Manual or electric choke, any suggestions would be helpful.

Go for it.
Edelbrock and Carter carbs are a 'better' design for occassional use, as they don't have any gaskets in/below the fuel level.

Buddy put eddy's in two of his cars,no trouble in years. But hes not a tweaker, and wont let me tune them. They run and are decent on gas. Retired and just drives them.

Thank you both, I gather both these carbs are AVS spread bores, correct?

No, eddy carbs are square bore. I run a 600 electric choke eddy on a 360 magnum, it could use some fine tuning but it runs pretty damn good right out of the box. If I did it again I'd probably go to the 700 cfm range

The Edelbrock's are generally a square bore design based on either the AFB "performer series" or the AVS "thunder series". I believe they do off a spread bore version which is based on a quadra-jet. Demon makes a very awesome carb that is based on the Thermoquad but is square bore. It can be had with either a phenolic or aluminum center section.

The Edelbrock's are generally a square bore design based on either the AFB "performer series" or the AVS "thunder series". I believe they do off a spread bore version which is based on a quadra-jet. Demon makes a very awesome carb that is based on the Thermoquad but is square bore. It can be had with either a phenolic or aluminum center section.

I had an original Carter AVS, it had larger secondary's and the air valve over them. Thanks

On my 360 powered Dart I looking at replacing my leaky Holley with either a 600 or 650 cfm model. The car is used for street use and cruise in's only. Manual or electric choke, any suggestions would be helpful.

I don't know if you are going to like a Edelbrock much in Texas.
They do run good with very little messing with, but they are VERY susceptible to heat and boil fuel easily due to the fuel bowls being within the main body of the carb.
They also tend to go very lean for a couple of minutes on warm startups.

Believe me when I tell you that you will be chasing carb heat soak issue's.
That said, I still run one on my car and besides the heat issue's I like it.
I have the 1406 and it's a daily driver.

is that demon carb you refer to the street demon? if so i dont think it is exactly a square bore.
street-demon-carburetor-small-primaries.jpg

They do run good with very little messing with, but they are VERY susceptible to heat and boil fuel easily due to the fuel bowls being within the main body of the carb.

Thanks for the info, this will sit on the Eldelbrock

It will be sitting on an Edelbrock Air Gap Manifold, I hope that helps with this issue.. Thanks

People get "square bore" and "square flange" confused. I will just stop right there.

is that demon carb you refer to the street demon? if so i dont think it is exactly a square bore.
View attachment 1715086212

Yes some Eddy/Carter carbs have slightly smaller primary bores, but not enough to qualify them as spread-bore. ThermoQuad and QuadraJets are examples of spreadbore carbs (see below). Spread-bores also use the narrower flange bolt pattern....

0612hppp_07z+rochester_quadrajet_carburetor+spread_bore_carburetor.jpg

Yes some Eddy/Carter carbs have slightly smaller primary bores, but not enough to qualify them as spread-bore. ThermoQuad and QuadraJets are examples of spreadbore carbs (see below). Spread-bores also use the narrower flange bolt pattern....

View attachment 1715086218

i never implied it was a spread bore just stated it wasnt exactly a square bore, its not exactly a four barrel either ....

People get "square bore" and "square flange" confused. I will just stop right there.

i do confuse easily

By the way what do you all prefer, manual or electric chokes????

Here is my 2 cent take...

The Carter/Edelbrock AFB & AVS are square ore carbs even though there is a minor offset in barrel slengths size. As illustrated the spreadbore is the BIG offset design.

The aluminum carbs are super street friendly but should use a thick mounting gasket under them to help keep them cool so fuel doesn't boil out of them. Edelbrock sells such a gasket.

The AFB is fine though I like the AVS style better with the tuneable secondary door.

For you, thread starter, if it we're myself, it would be the small Edelbrock AVS electric choke style carb with there .333 (or so) thick gasket. A tuning kit, fuel line and filter.

There is zero power gain with a manual choke. There never was. It does provide automatic choke and help warm up the engine better, quick & faster for your ease of operation. It's a freakin win win!

I myself have also installed a Edelbrock electric fuel pump with relay kit for the pump and used the OE return line. It's easier on the pump and simple to use if you already have one, otherwise, don't worry about it. The pump is calibrated for there carbs so make sure you get the right one.
EZ to install. You'll spend more time figuring where to put the pump and wiring relay than installing it.

Constant cool fuel. Not issues. Allways starts right up. Home run!

Manual choke. They come set up a little richer than the electric choke carbs which are set up way too lean in my opinion.
If you run an electric choke eddy would recommend a metering rod and spring change to #23 in eddy manual as a good starting point.

They are also very temperamental to fuel pressure. Recommend no more than 5.5. Use a stock mechanical pump or electric unit with regulator. Even 80 plus gph street/strip mechanical pumps you see advertised will throw 8 or more psi at your eddy and performance will suffer big time.

Here is my 2 cent take...

The Carter/Edelbrock AFB & AVS are square ore carbs even though there is a minor offset in barrel slengths size. As illustrated the spreadbore is the BIG offset design.

The aluminum carbs are super street friendly but should use a thick mounting gasket under them to help keep them cool so fuel doesn't boil out of them. Edelbrock sells such a gasket.

The AFB is fine though I like the AVS style better with the tuneable secondary door.

For you, thread starter, if it we're myself, it would be the small Edelbrock AVS electric choke style carb with there .333 (or so) thick gasket. A tuning kit, fuel line and filter.

There is zero power gain with a manual choke. There never was. It does provide automatic choke and help warm up the engine better, quick & faster for your ease of operation. It's a freakin win win!

I myself have also installed a Edelbrock electric fuel pump with relay kit for the pump and used the OE return line. It's easier on the pump and simple to use if you already have one, otherwise, don't worry about it. The pump is calibrated for there carbs so make sure you get the right one.
EZ to install. You'll spend more time figuring where to put the pump and wiring relay than installing it.

Constant cool fuel. Not issues. Allways starts right up. Home run!

I've also found it useful to block the exhaust crossover ports under the carb flange. Keeps the carb way cooler and usually prevents the fuel boiling issue in the Eddy/Carter carbs.

Eddy electric choke carbs are jetted leaner.They are designed to be used on your daily driver where mileage may be important.However they both can be easily tuned for most engines.I've never had one boil fuel once the engine was well tuned.

Eddy electric choke carbs are jetted leaner.They are designed to be used on your daily driver where mileage may be important.However they both can be easily tuned for most engines.I've never had one boil fuel once the engine was well tuned.

I'd bet Eskimo's don't have problems with their popsicles melting before they can eat them either. :D
Different story in places like AZ and TX.

ThermoQuad
My preference as well however we actually do not know if he has a spreadbore intake or if he has hood clearance with an adapter.

It just took it that he has a squarebire intake and no clearance

I don't know if you are referring to my post, but I have an Edelbrock Air Gap 7576, it won't take a ThermQquad...

-
Back