EFI fuel tank setup

-

kman521

Reaction score
I'm in the planning stages of installing fuel injection on the 440 engine in my Dart.
The plan is to use the charcoal canister line at the fuel tank for the fuel return line.
I believe the factory gas cap is sealed.
If the factory gas cap is sealed and I'm using more fuel than is being returned to the tank won't that build up a vacuum in the tank?
Will that be a problem?
How is everyone else that's installing an EFI setup in their cars dealing with this?

I'm converting mine to EFI. I'm planning on venting the tank to atmosphere. Are you doing an in tank pump or external? What are your plans for a fuel pick/fuel starvation prevention? Check out the Holley Hydramat if you haven't seen it already. It isn't released to the public yet, but should be in the coming weeks. It seems like the easiest solution out there so far- just don't know the cost yet.

For my car, I just slightly drilled the gas cap... As for the fuel starvation issue, i am using a yogis in tank fuel pump module.

I'm converting mine to EFI. I'm planning on venting the tank to atmosphere. Are you doing an in tank pump or external? What are your plans for a fuel pick/fuel starvation prevention? Check out the Holley Hydramat if you haven't seen it already. It isn't released to the public yet, but should be in the coming weeks. It seems like the easiest solution out there so far- just don't know the cost yet.

Initially I was going to install and external pump to eliminate pulling the existing fuel pickup from the tank but now I'm thinking of installing an internal 255 lph Walbro onto the existing pickup setup.
This car might see the drag strip once or twice a year since it's been converted to a 4 speed now and even when it was auto I never had fuel pickup problems so I don't think it should be an issue.
That mat looks interesting though, never seen that before.

For my car, I just slightly drilled the gas cap... As for the fuel starvation issue, i am using a yogis in tank fuel pump module.

I thought about drilling the cap but I worry on hard acceleration or on a corner fuel might drain down the side of the car.
The Yogis looks interesting too but does it require a new hole cut in the top of the fuel tank?

I used an Aeromotive system and it has a dedicated vent outlet

Attachments

• duster%20004.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 196
  • duster%20013.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 190
Thanks for the ideas.

On another forum I found someone that's modified their existing pickup for an in tank pump like this.

Tankpump_zpsa6b5f03d.jpg

I'll keep the charcoal canister connected to the fuel tank the way it is and weld a steel AN6 bung into the fuel tank filler tube for a braided return line.

Does anyone see a down side to doing it this way?

-
Back