electrical gurus, i need help sizing an alternator.

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
Ok folks,

I am looking at 50 amp compact 1 wire denso type alternators. I can get a nice one new for a good price. What i need to know is if 50 amps will be too small for my application. The stock alternator when it was a strippo slanty was a 25 amp roundback. I know this had to have been marginal when new.

My power requirements.

All my lighting will be LED, except headlamps. They will be H4 halogens with relay circuits.

Car originally was radio delete, and now will have a small hidden audio setup that uses my phone as the head unit. Its 25 w rms x 4 channels. No external amp.

No A/C .

stock V speed windshield wiper setup restored.

stock restored 3 speed heater blower.

Probably will end up with an electric engine fan setup if i cannot find a good clutch fan and shroud.

The engine harness is a repop from year one, alt output wire is already an 8 gage lead. Everythings been modded to remove amp gauge from the circuit, and route alternator output wire directly to starter relay terminal with a fusible link in the circuit.

Thanks in advance
Matt

If you don't run electric fans, or pumps and EFI, or a bunch of "big stereo" amps you could get by fine with a stocker

"The thing is" not really the output amperage, it's LOW RPM OUTPUT that makes the difference, and causes all the grief, IE bitching about low or no output at idle.

You should be "in overkill" for what you have I'd guess

If you still have the ammeter hooked up you might wanna read THIS

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/amp-gauges.shtml

No ammeter, converted to volt gage, dumped the alt output connection thru the firewall too, it runs straight to starter relay with a fuse link on it.

They also have a 35 amp 1 wire denso mini alternator for about $10 cheaper. I figured for the extra $10 why not, or is it a wasted expense

-
Back