Electronic ignition upgrade / voltage regulator question

-
ok.. what is the summit ign? that the same as the chrysler set up only summit brand?

should goto the side of the ballast that has key power. pull both wires off the ballast and stick a test light in them. the one that lights the test light when the key is turned on is the side that the ign should be hooked to.

This thread hasnt been active for a few weeks so I dont feel as bad about hijacking it briefly.

I found my Summit CD ignition system was not putting power to my plugs when the starter was engaged. Based upon the diagram and discussion in this thread, Ignition #2 would seem to solve my problem. I am just having a problem identifying which wire it might be. Could someone take a look at the picture and point it out to me? I was previously connected to the wire with the tape on it.

In the alternative, I dont seem to need a ballast resistor any longer. Would I be better off just removing it and connecting all the wires together? Possible coil damage would seem to be the only reason not to. I am running a Pertronix Flamethrower I coil if that matters. Thanks.

Remove the ballast resistor and connect the ends together. If you're running a CD ignition, you do not need, and should not use, a ballast resistor.

Summit Racing CD ignition is a rebranded Mallory I believe. I was running a Chrysler electronic ignition before. At this point I think I do not need the ballast resistor. The coil gets its power through the Summit ignition and is not otherwise connected to the BR. Thus, there would seem to be no reason for the BR any longer. I just need to get hooked up to the ignition switch. Thanks for the inputs, they clarified the issue for me.

I've been using one of these since changing over to electronic ignition on my '66 Cuda.

312-P3690732.gif

Found this link for Jegs. http://www.jegs.com/i/Mopar+Performance/312/P3690732/10002/-1

Haven't had any problems running the stock alternator. Don't know why it says for race only, seems to work just fine. Would be nice to have more amps though, will probably go with a later model set-up when I finally get around to rewiring the car
How do you wire this in to the old 2 wire regulater?

The wire with the forked terminal goes under the nut on the top and the spade connector connects to the wire from the regulator (no shown in pic) with the spade terminal

Just to clear things up, the newer alternators do not run dual fields, there are just 2 field wires coming out. The ground is not internally grounded like the early ones.

Do you still ground your alt on the old style and then just hook it up like mentiodned above?

-
Back