Engine Block long term storage

-

snowmobiler7c

Reaction score
I have a fully machined 360 block that I am not going to be using anytime soon. What is the best way to protect it for storage? Should it be completely coated with a light coat of grease(like wheel bearing) and then covered with a bag? I could coat it with motor oil but would that be good enough? Thanks for any input.
Mark

Hey Mark;

I've stored engine blocks freshly machined for over a year with a light coat of WD-40 double engine bagged. A cool dry safe from being bumped. A spot free from tearing the bag open.

The day I prep the block for storage is a dry day. The lower the humidity the better. Consider it a mandatory setting for storage prep.

I usually grease or oil the cylinders and mating surfaces with grease on old and new blocks but usually at least paint the new ones some.

Hey Mark;

I've stored engine blocks freshly machined for over a year with a light coat of WD-40 double engine bagged. A cool dry safe from being bumped. A spot free from tearing the bag open.

The day I prep the block for storage is a dry day. The lower the humidity the better. Consider it a mandatory setting for storage prep.
Glad this worked for you WD40 generally in pretty corrosive

Believe it or not I still have engines in storage from 30 years ago in 55 gallon drums with waste oil. They are at a friends and he has the room.

thanks guys, no way im getting a block in a 55 gallon drum. Floor space is already at a premium in my barn/garage lol

-
Back