Engine cradle

-

Larry Tomlin

Reaction score
Built my engine cradle today out of wood, works really well. Not fancy though.

20170523_145213.jpg

20170523_150330.jpg

That's a little more elegant than mine. I just used scrap that was sitting around. I whipped this one out to pick up a motor in the back of a truck. Later, I added legs so I could take the motor off the engine stand, because I needed the engine stand for another project. The motor has been on and off since then; now it's back on, sadly, although it's all painted and dressed up.

IMG_1467.JPG

IMG_2378.JPG

Yes sir.Total length is 55". From front of engine to cut out at transmission is 21". Opening for engine to set in is 8 3/4" inside measurement. Sides are 2x12,base is 2x10, cut out is 4 1/4" deep. gusset blocks are 5 3/4" on 45 degree angle, 4 casters which support 200# each. Hope this helps.

Thanks, I could have used those numbers. I like your design with the transmission support much better than what I cobbled up. My transmission is resting on a folding table, which happened to be exactly the right height to slide it onto from the tailgate without any lifting. Not lifting was a priority, since my helper had a bad back, and I didn't have a hoist available at the time.

Thanks, I could have used those numbers. I like your design with the transmission support much better than what I cobbled up. My transmission is resting on a folding table, which happened to be exactly the right height to slide it onto from the tailgate without any lifting. Not lifting was a priority, since my helper had a bad back, and I didn't have a hoist available at the time.
Your are welcome. I rigged up a 12 volt winch with double line to lift my engine. I understand about the lifting. I am too old for that. Thanks for the reply.

-
Back