Export car 69 Dart GT

-

Baron007

Reaction score
Last weekend I bought this 69 Dart GT in France, originally imported by Simca Chrysler.
It was first registered in october 1968 so it must be an early one.
Vinnumber on the dash is 98I70365, but stamped on the enginebay tag is 98170365, so 1 instead of the letter I (probably a monday morning stamping on the tag, lol)
So my question: is this one of the first built '69 or when do they normaly start to build the next modelyear? And is this a genuine GT?
No normal US tag so it is difficult to check the options, looks mostly original apart from the cheapo paint.

PA143787.JPG

PA173804.JPG

PA173803.JPG

PA173805.JPG

PA143786.JPG

Nice find, new model year cars come out in September-October here in the US, so its probably an early build. Sure looks like a true GT car.

The incomplete VIN indicates that the car was partially assembled in the US. (partial assembly = partial VIN)

The 8 used indicates it started life at the Hamtramck plant.

Some countries allowed imports IF the final assembly was done inside their borders.

The last 6 digits track with other VINs assigned at Hamtramck.

totally of track here, but i have been to all those places mentioned there, detroit, paris, belgium (cant make out the name on the trailer, but it appears to be in vlaanderen?)

It has all the right trim for a GT but the grille has been repainted incorrectly. Looks to have a 67 273 4-bbl air cleaner and power disc brakes! Production started in the U.S. on August 1st, so it is early but not that early. Great find!

It looks like it does not have headrests. Headrests, were an option, until January 1st, 1969, when they became standard equipment.

A 170*** VIN would be about a first week of October, 1968 build for the 1969 model year.
next year, this time, will be its 50th birthday. If it's a GT, it should have front bucket seats, correct?
Those are the same style hub caps, which came on my '68 GTS, new. I always thought they were understated cool-looking.

Nice find, new model year cars come out in September-October here in the US, so its probably an early build. Sure looks like a true GT car.

Sheeot. They mightta used to. Our 04 Ford Escape has a build date of 05/2003. Get you some of that. lol

European destined Mopars seem to always come with HD brakes and suspension regardless of the engine or trim level. I had a R/H/D '69 Barracuda that was the same.

totally of track here, but i have been to all those places mentioned there, detroit, paris, belgium (cant make out the name on the trailer, but it appears to be in vlaanderen?)

Yep, Vlaanderen (Flanders) indeed! I live above Antwerp, near Dutch border. A 6,5h drive to neighbourhood of Saint-Lô in France, not far from the beaches were the Allies landed in WWII.

"If it's a GT, it should have front bucket seats, correct?" Yep, but they are worn out, but I have some nice ones from a 67 GT... also top of back seat looks 'exploded' by the sun.

It has front disks indeed and rear drums. Can't find a building sheet under the seat, probably gone when they put new housing carpet in.
The guy where I bought it from, bought it 4 years ago, put in the garage and never got it out again until I bought it. I have the original title from '68 and even some roadmaps from 64 to 69, lol, original jack, and hardboard cover from spare tire..
Engine truns freely and should start right up according the seller.

I also went to see a 66 Barracuda partscar in the north of France, that has a Indénor diesel engine and a Peugeot gearbox in it from a delivery van, lol.
PS: notice the chrome bar the backseat under the hood....
Rusted away but still has a very nice interior in it. I am waiting when it accepts my offer on that one. I am not sure what should happen when I'll try to pull the car, hopefully it doesn't break in 2.

PA143789.JPG

PA143792.JPG

PA143794.JPG

PA143788.JPG

Like I said, partscar...
I couldn't and may not open the trunk, I wonder what is in there?

PA143795.JPG

67 bucket seats are entirely different than 68-69 seats as they have hard backs and no latch to prevent them from hinging forward in an accident. Seat cover and seat bun sets are available to fix your seats.

67 bucket seats are entirely different than 68-69 seats as they have hard backs and no latch to prevent them from hinging forward in an accident. Seat cover and seat bun sets are available to fix your seats.

They need some help...

PA183808.JPG
PA183807.JPG

Km speedo!
PA183809.JPG

Underneeth, there is only one bad rust spot on driverside.
PA183810.JPG

It needs some maintenance ofcourse, new tires, leafsprings, shocks, exhaust, bushings, but nothing major.

I have these in stock, they have the hard back cover, so maybe 68?
WP_20150907_025.jpg

Your seats look great, MUCH better than what we find in the States. The other seats you have are definitely 67 Dart GT. 68 and 69 seats have the same frames just different patterns. Here are a beautiful set of take-out seats in Michigan, a bit expensive but where are you going to find a better set? Seat covers and buns run around $700 then you have to have them put on or try them yourself.

Complete Set Of 69 Dodge Dart GT/GTS Seats With Tracks Mopar

Cool car,for sure,and it looks straight and solid.

That partial VIN on the dash is bizarre looking,never seen one before but now I know.

Yep, Vlaanderen (Flanders) indeed! I live above Antwerp, near Dutch border. A 6,5h drive to neighbourhood of Saint-Lô in France, not far from the beaches were the Allies landed in WWII.

been to Omaha beach and Antwerp as well
i actually grew up just east of you in the Netherlands
(in fact my parents live so far down south i often times fly into Zaventem because it is closer to them then Schiphol is)

been to Omaha beach and Antwerp as well
i actually grew up just east of you in the Netherlands
(in fact my parents live so far down south i often times fly into Zaventem because it is closer to them then Schiphol is)

Lots of people from The Netherlands use Zaventem or even a bit further Charleroi to fly with the discounters like Ryanair etc.
Beaches in France are very impressive, have been there 2 times. Bunkers, museums, biggest canon on the railroad, V1 and V2 launch places in the Somme area, fleemarkets, lots of points of interests.
Many WWII things, vehicles...Dodges WC's...

I have a house in Norway that is less than 200m from a Nazi Battery and less than a mile from a Nazi Barracks.

It looks like it does not have headrests. Headrests, were an option, until January 1st, 1969, when they became standard equipment.
Yep. My '69 GTS was built in early October '68 and doesn't have headrests. It does have the optional shoulder belts though. It also has factory AC (that works) which was a full 10% of the price of the car back then.

IMG_0125.JPG

IMG_0126.JPG

-
Back